Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Westach Dual Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 11:34 PM
solarwarp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Westach Dual Gauge

Hello,

I ordered and received from Geno's a Westach dual gauge EGT/Boost with the single gauge A-pillar grabrail mount.

First off, I always thought that the handle that I reach up and grabwas made ofsome kind of substantial material. NOT! It is pretty thin hollow plastic and held in place by only 2 pimcerts. Makes me think about trusting the plastic handles to drag myself into the seat.

Second, I am a little dissapointed in the Westach gauge face. The stencil, silk screen or giclee they used to print the face has lettering that is blobbed. The light shines nice and bright and has your choice of red, green or clear lens to illuminate the gauge.

I have the gauge installed in the grabrail, the boost bolt installed and everything is wired up. The rubber tubing they supplied is pretty flimsy, is that what everybody uses?

I haven't installed the EGT sensor yet, it got too dark to finish up. I ran the sensor along the firewall in back and coiled it up out of the way till tomorrow when I drill and tap. That is another thing, I don't know what plumbers use for a measuring stick, but the tap that is called out for the small temperage sensor is the biggest 1/8th inch I've ever seen.

I took it for a spin, noticed when I first turned the key that the boost gage jumpted to zero, the EGT gage didn't jump off of it's low point stops. The temp sensor is only coiled up; most gauges, I thought would jump to zero. (We'll see tomorrow.) Boost gauge works like a champ after I ty-wrapped the tubing on.

I want the dual guage, butis the lettering onWestach gauges not sharp and crisp?

Old 10-14-2007, 09:00 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker
Default RE: Westach Dual Gauge

If you got the gage at Geno's just give them a call. They have great customer serivce and I'm sure they'll replace it. Pipe threads have to be larger than the dimension (ie 1/8) the dimension actually refers to the inside diameter of the pipe, hence the thread must be larger.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Silverline
Veteran

Drew has a similar Westach gauge so he might be able to help you too.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:31 PM
Mayfair
Legend

What rubber thingy are you talking about?

Where are you going to tap for the EGT?

Old 10-14-2007, 11:51 PM
solarwarp
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

What rubber thingy are you talking about?

Where are you going to tap for the EGT?
The rubber hose for the boost gauge... the rubber tubing seems kind of flimsy, not even inner tube type rubber.

I tapped near the number 3 cylinder this afternoon. I think my temp gauge is dead... the boost displays, but not the EGT.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:55 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Where did you tap in for the boost?
Where does the rubber thing go? I used compression nuts on my Autometer.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:22 AM
solarwarp
Veteran

Here is where I tapped in for the boost... notice the rubber hose. It kept blowing off of the nipple here and at the back of the gauge too. I ty-wrapped the tubing to keep it from blowing off. That is the flimsy rubber tubing I am talking about.

Also here is where I drilled and tapped for the EGT Sensor. I put it at an angle because directly on top of the manifold has some part numbers cast into it. (I didn't want to drill through some uneven areas.)

Old 10-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

I certainly hope you removed your exhaust manifold to drill and tap that hole for the EGT sensor. I say that only because you never mentioned it and by the way you wrote things it sounds as if you might not have. Metal shavings and turbo chargers never get along at all...

Old 10-15-2007, 10:45 AM
solarwarp
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Tommygunz

I certainly hope you removed your exhaust manifold to drill and tap that hole for the EGT sensor. I say that only because you never mentioned it and by the way you wrote things it sounds as if you might not have. Metal shavings and turbo chargers never get along at all...
Nope, I drilled it in place on a cold engine. Vacuumed as I went and used a magnet to get out the fe filings from inside. Then tarted the engine let it idle forabout 5 minutes so that the turbocharger wasn't spinning too fast; to allow any remaining debris to blow right through the turbo.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: solarwarp

Here is where I tapped in for the boost... notice the rubber hose. It kept blowing off of the nipple here and at the back of the gauge too. I ty-wrapped the tubing to keep it from blowing off. That is the flimsy rubber tubing I am talking about.

That's weird !!

My boost gauge came with a thin plastic hose that fit into a compression nut.

Here ya go ...

Name:  025.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  30.0 KB

Quick Reply: Westach Dual Gauge