Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:49 AM
hottrodder67
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need help asap

My truck is at the dealership right now do to a little problem i had over the weekend. About 4 months ago the dealer put in a set of Industrial Injetion injectors. About a month after i started to hear what sounded like a ticking sound coming from the back left part of the engine were the fule rail is. Now over the weekend i had a PO178 code pop up whitch was a failed fule system. It went away for one day than as i was backing into a parking space i noitced white smoke. I opend the door and it smeled like somebody was pouring diesel fuel all over my engine. I popped the hood and diesel was all over the right side of the engine where the lines are. Now i started the engine the following day and sure enough i had a diesel water fountine under my hood. it was shooting out of the same area that i heard the ticking. I would like some ideas of what this might be before the dealer gives me some bull****. I also want to know if anything with them putting in the injectors wrong might have casued this. Any info is more than helpfull thanks again for taking time to read this long *** thread.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:38 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

sounds like you have an injector failure. not sure how the fuel is escaping but if you see fuel pouring out of the rail, do not start it. could cause a fire and you'd have bigger headaches.

I'll bet one of the injector seals has failed. not sure how they are setup as I have never messed with them but somehow there needs to be a seal on the fuel rail to injector. either that seal has given way or your injector has cracked. Post back their findings...

Old 04-13-2009, 03:45 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year is your truck?
Is this a common rail fuel system?
If so it's possible one of the high pressure steel lines or connector tubes wasn't torqued properly or has come loose.
The injectors on the 24v are under the valve covers so I don't see them causing an external fuel leak.
Check the crankcase oil level when you get it back. A leaky injector can cause oil dilution and overfilling of the crankcase.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:07 PM
High_On_Diesel
Professional

I agree with Rabbler. I have seen a few cases where the high pressure tubing ruptures at the flare and fuel escapes from the fitting. As rabbler stated the injectors on the 24v are covered up and it would be hard to notice fuel pissin' out of them. Pressure is dropping out of your rail...of course...and I think thats where you DTC is coming from. Also as Steve stated...don't start it with this issue. I am a crane mechanic and just got done rebuilding one that had a fuel line rupture....got on the turbo and the rest is history.

Last edited by High_On_Diesel; 04-13-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:40 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

I had this issue before. It is a broken high pressure fuel line. Mine was #4 and that is a very common one to break. If you are under warranty, let the dealer replace it. If you are not under warranty, find a local cummins dealer. I checked with them when mine went, it was a $20 part at cummins.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:52 PM
hottrodder67
Professional
Smile Thank you all

Nickbee you are the winner of todays problem under the hood of my truck.It was the number 4 fuel line that was cracked. Now i heard somebody said something about tourqe? i did not put the injects in the dealer did. Is this something that they should pay for? or am i going to be beating a dead horse.Everybody that helped me out i really appreciate it a lot thank you. hopefully it will be back on the road in a day or two.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:37 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

glad to hear the problem is found... for the record (unless I missed it somewhere) what year is your truck & which motor do you have?

Old 04-14-2009, 12:23 PM
hottrodder67
Professional
Default truck

It is a 2006 CTD 24 value. edge/attirude mrb stright industrial injectiors 90hp airaid intake with 151k on it. i drive close to 1500k a week.do you think i should fight the dealer to fix it for free concidering they put the line back in?

Old 04-14-2009, 12:25 PM
hottrodder67
Professional
Smile steve

what do you think about the injection pumps? how much life do you think i have in it. i was looking at a industrial injection pump and a fass system is it worht it and is it a smart dission?

Old 04-14-2009, 12:52 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

yes I'd fight the dealer since it was most likely their fault.

I do not have any info on the life expentancy of the CP3 injection pump... a FASS or Walbro pump would be a good idea though.

Quick Reply: Need help asap