Dodge Dakota The tough, mid size pickup, the Dodge Dakota. The Dodge Dakota has everything the big boys do with a mid size truck price.

Stalling Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 12:49 AM
doppler93
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling Problems

Hi...

For the past several months i've been having stalling problems with my 94 Dakota (V6). When it's cold out (single digits or below 0), after the truck warms up it stalls a lot when im coming to a stop. When I take my foot off the gas, you'll see the RPMs go way down, then bounce back up unless im going a decent speed (say above 40mph). If i'm going slower (under 20mph) this will happen, but it seems that the RPMs go so far down before they bounce up that they can't recover and the truck stalls. I am using Platinum plugs and recently i've heard mixed opinions about them. I also had a mechanic look at the truck and so far they've gone through it and can't find the problem. They changed the IAC motor (and cleaned some parts) and that didn't solve the problem. I'm really wondering if it is the spark plugs. Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks very much!
Jared

PS... FWIW... this problem definitely get's worse (the truck stalls easier) when it gets colder. We've had a bunch of 20 and 30 below mornings, especially last month, and once the truck warmed up, it was almost impossible to bring it to a near stop without it stalling... even giving it some gas while I had the break down.

Old 02-18-2004, 03:04 AM
PapaSmurf47
Default RE: Stalling Problems

Mine (99) was doing that too, i had some basic stuff done to it (oil change, tire rotated plugs ect) and they replaced the distributor cap and rotor cause it was BAD. You should make sure that got checked. I also heard bad things about the platinum plugs too if it still happens after checking the distibutor cap id change them.

Old 02-18-2004, 07:02 AM
olsarge
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Believe it or not low transmission fluid level can cause that. Just found out after a week dealing with the local dealer. At least they claim that's what fixed it on my 2001 4.7.

Old 02-20-2004, 10:04 AM
doppler93

Thanks... i'll have to check into these things this weekend!

Jared

Old 02-23-2004, 06:01 PM
doppler93

Well... those things didn't seem to fix the problem. Could it be the oxygen sensor? If I remember right, the data the computer uses from this sensor doesn't kick in until after the engine is warmed up, which is when I start having problems.

-Jared

Old 02-28-2004, 08:26 PM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O2 sensor doesn't start affecting running condition for a minute or two after started, assuming it has already been run recently.

Old 02-28-2004, 08:28 PM
dodgemech
All Star

BTW low trans fluid cannot make engine run rough or stall. Make sure whoever worked on throttle body cleaned the plates,bores, and IAC passages real well. Also dissconnect battery for a few minutes and let IAC counter reset after everything is clean. See if that doesn't help.

Old 02-29-2004, 06:22 AM
olsarge
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dodgemech. The dealer (I know most of them lie) told me low trans. fluid can cause overheating and cause the converter to stay locked causing stalling at a stop. They claim to have an in-house service bulletin (Star System?) covering the problem.

Old 03-07-2004, 02:13 AM
dodgemech
All Star

Nope. If the converter stays locked the truck will stall and will not restart. I get all the bulletins/star releases/ and TSB's they get. Never heard of it on any trans. Especially on yours, you have the 45RFE trans and it runs damn cold. You have to purposly "beat" that trans to get warm enough to get it to the warm mark on the stick. Usually it will be cold if you are checking in your driveway.

Old 03-08-2004, 02:45 AM
Big Bird

How about the MAP sensor port ,,,, or Map sensor ? Clean the port and check the signatures of the sensor using a digital oscilliscope !!!

Quick Reply: Stalling Problems