2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

Really interesting 2001 Dodge Intrepid electrical problem.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:43 PM
jbleau
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really interesting 2001 Dodge Intrepid electrical problem.

Hi all!

I have a 2001 Dodge Intrepid. You know, the gold one that you always see driving around. I have a really interesting electrical problem. Let me lay out the order of events and hopefully somebody can help.

I first noticed a problem one (very hot) afternoon. I get in my car, and already was sweating. It had been sitting in the sun all morning. I turn the key, go straight for the AC and it doesn't work. Next I try my windows, and they don't work either. Pretty pissed off I drive to work and proceed to notice that neither my blinkers nor my air bags work (dummy light was on.)
It sits in the shade at work for about 20 minutes before I try it again. Presto, everything is working great. I write it off to a fluke. Maybe some connections got too hot in the sun and expanded, something lost connection, who knows.

Then something pretty crappy happens. I'm driving home to work and my AC cuts out and I hear a huge clunk-rattle-noise as if I had ran something over. It turns out, I had actually. My idler tensioner pulley that fell out of the front of my car. I still haven't replaced this yet, but from the looks of the routing diagrams this only affects AC.

The next morning, same problems again. Same summer heat, same no windows, no blinker, airbag dummy light, no AC (duh, we can ascertain that this is broken for two reasons now.)

Here's the interesting thing though. I discovered this just recently. If the car cools down, it works. But more interestingly, if I don't turn the ignition, but just turn on the power, everything works! Windows go down, blinkers work, etc.

What the heck!

If somebody here has had a similar experience and could give me some insight on what needs to be fixed I'd greatly appreciate it. I know I need to replace the AC belt and tensioner. I've checked all of the fuses and they are fine.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:55 PM
jbleau

After doing some keen internet detective work I've discovered that this is a relatively common problem. One solution suggested you can wiggle your key a little (instead of turning the car completely off) and they will return function. This might lend credence to the idea that it had nothing to do with the heat, simply that me re-inserting my key might have been enough to cause whatever wasn't working to work. I'm going to go test this now.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:58 PM
jbleau

Just did a little testing, and this is the problem. If I turn the key too far to the right it "sticks" and all power in my car is off, although the car still runs. I can click the key (while keeping it on no less) one click to the left and everything works. I'm guessing I shouldn't even bother trying to get this repaired?

Old 06-13-2010, 10:58 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

I just read your post and was going to suggest the ignition switch! I'd recomend fixing/replacing it. If not, one day it may completely fail and or will not be able to even start the car. One last thought, few years back, I saw a van dash fire due to a faulty ignition switch. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:17 PM
stewart196
Cool If you still have that car

I advise you to sell it and get anything else. I have a 2001 intrepid and it has had the same problem as well as a few others. I have replaced the mortor twice, tranny once and almost every electrical system in it. Sad truth is this car wasn't designed well or perhaps the designer was smoking crack at the time I don't know. I do however have it running at the moment but a/c compressor locked up so today I installed a new one but now its simply not engaging. I'm tired and will have to wait until tomorrow to run down the problem but I promise you once I find / fix it I will be selling it.
Every car company has a lemon and the Intrepid is certainly Dodge's.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:47 PM
jbleau

Originally Posted by stewart196
I advise you to sell it and get anything else. I have a 2001 intrepid and it has had the same problem as well as a few others. I have replaced the mortor twice, tranny once and almost every electrical system in it. Sad truth is this car wasn't designed well or perhaps the designer was smoking crack at the time I don't know. I do however have it running at the moment but a/c compressor locked up so today I installed a new one but now its simply not engaging. I'm tired and will have to wait until tomorrow to run down the problem but I promise you once I find / fix it I will be selling it.
Every car company has a lemon and the Intrepid is certainly Dodge's.
I really wish you had gotten to me sooner! My original post is over a year old and I had to get rid of the car in a not-so-desireable situation about 8 months ago. The engine completely failed, there was some sort leak causing coolant to get into the oil and every mechanic I brought it to told me it wasn't worth fixing. I ended up scrapping the car.

Live and learn, right?

Old 07-24-2011, 04:36 PM
stewart196

Wish I would have to. Hate to think of anyone else going through the problems I've been through but look on the bright side at least your done with it and you can finally move forward. Also forgot to mention why I had to replace the motors. Its was the heads same problem you had only I went through it twice. From what I have gathered they are most famous for that problem. I've got an Expedition now and after buying it I find out they are famous for blowing head gaskets and spark plugs so lets see what thrills await me with this one. Good luck and God bless. (We need it!)

Old 10-11-2013, 04:56 PM
fernando_pineda_1973

fans are getting a lot of volts. changed fans 3 times already. what should i do?

Quick Reply: Really interesting 2001 Dodge Intrepid electrical problem.