Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Vans & CUVs > Dodge Journey
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Mystery Grinding Noise - 2010 Journey

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-13-2011, 03:24 PM
WhiskeyBravo WhiskeyBravo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17
Default Mystery Grinding Noise - 2010 Journey

After having my car serviced under warranty for all 4 brakes and rotors, I got my car back along with a mystery grinding noise. I brought it back to the dealer who said it wasn't the brakes, it's something else.

The dealer had my car for almost two weeks and replaced a bunch of things including crap I never heard of. I just got it back today and was told it was done. Dealer told me that the regional service rep was even there to take a listen to my mystery noise. It's still making the noise.
I've attached the service record for your viewing pleasure.

I can make the noise happen while moving. Slight acceleration makes it go away, deceleration and acceleration makes it come and go. The noise is similar to the noise you would hear when cutting metal on a lathe. Sounds like brakes, right? They say it's not. So I called Dodge Customer Care.

Dodge told me to take it to another dealer, so I asked Dodge for a recommendation based on customer satisfaction. I was told that they don't provide that information - only a list of dealers.

Does anyone know of a good Dodge dealership in northern NJ? Any suggestions other than earplugs or crank the radio?
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jj-journey.jpg (96.5 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-13-2011, 10:35 PM
steak59 steak59 is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,881
Default

it only happens when the vehicle is moving and not free reving? then it shouldnt be an engine noise.
But according to your service history, the dealership seem to be hearing noise from the Engine.
The 3.5l have some Lifter rocker shaft problems, might be that if the noise is from the engine compartment.

If the noise is from outside, possibly it is the brake. All I could say is lift up the car and drive it on the rack. or spin the wheels by hand. But... since you are under waranty, definitely find another dealership.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-14-2011, 09:45 AM
19InBlkJrny 19InBlkJrny is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 17
Default

That's right steak, any OHC engine is going to have some tapping to it. You'll normally never hear me defend a dealer, but WOW, those folks put in the work. Timing belt, tensioner, water pump, etc. It seems like they made a good effort. It might still be the brakes, if they didn't seat the rear calipers correctly. They have to be screwed in not just pushed like the front.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-14-2011, 02:45 PM
WhiskeyBravo WhiskeyBravo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17
Default

The noise is not loud. It can't be heard from the outside with the windows down. It's a dull grinding -sounds like a cutting tool on a metal lathe. If I apply enough gas pedal, I can make it dissipate. Easing up on the gas brings the noise back. It seems to be coming from the vicinity of the center or right of center around the floor pan area. This Journey is 2WD, so I'm not sure if there are any moving parts past the firewall on a 2WD.

When I'm driving I have two distinct sources of noise; regular engine noise from the front of the vehicle and the grinding noise which seems independent of the engine and on my side of the firewall.

I will try another dealer.....eventually, but I wish there was some way of determining if this is outside the expertise or qualifications of a particular dealership and their mechainics. I hate to go through the whole process of getting a rental car and crap just to be back in the same spot again.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-14-2011, 07:56 PM
TNtech's Avatar
TNtech TNtech is offline
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 2,239
SKMC69
Default

Whiskey is this a 3.5L in your Journey? Is it grinding or is it a wierd fluttery whining type noise? NM. it looks like they did the water pump. We've had a few making some strange noises.
__________________
CHRYSLER-JEEP-DODGE-RAM
Master Technician
Electrical & Drivability


My Other Hobby
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-17-2011, 02:05 PM
DodgeCares's Avatar
DodgeCares DodgeCares is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mopar HQ
Posts: 1,821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo View Post
The noise is not loud. It can't be heard from the outside with the windows down. It's a dull grinding -sounds like a cutting tool on a metal lathe. If I apply enough gas pedal, I can make it dissipate. Easing up on the gas brings the noise back. It seems to be coming from the vicinity of the center or right of center around the floor pan area. This Journey is 2WD, so I'm not sure if there are any moving parts past the firewall on a 2WD.

When I'm driving I have two distinct sources of noise; regular engine noise from the front of the vehicle and the grinding noise which seems independent of the engine and on my side of the firewall.

I will try another dealer.....eventually, but I wish there was some way of determining if this is outside the expertise or qualifications of a particular dealership and their mechainics. I hate to go through the whole process of getting a rental car and crap just to be back in the same spot again.
Whiskey,

The TSB I have listed below does not match your location of the sound but because you said it only happens when the vehicle is moving I believe it may be worth a look by the dealer if your vehicle fits the criteria listed.

NUMBER: 21-008-10
GROUP: Transmission and
Transfer Case
DATE: November 10, 2010

SUBJECT:
Transfer Gear Bearing Noise
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the transfer gear bearings.
MODELS:
2010 JC Journey
2010 JS Sebring/Avenger
2010 RT Town & Country/Grand Caravan
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicle equipped with a 62TE automatic transmission
(sales code DG2) built from January 1, 2010 (MDH 0101XX) through July 28,
2010 (MDH 0728XX).
DIAGNOSIS:
Customers may indicate that they hear a high pitch noise or growl coming from the left side
of the vehicle.
__________________
Jack

Dodge Social Care Specialist
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-06-2011, 09:56 PM
WhiskeyBravo WhiskeyBravo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17
Default

Our mystery noise has gotten louder and more interesting. The original noise is more pronounced and is now accompanied by what can only be described as "distant machine gun fire." If I have my foot on the gas in the perfect sweet spot, like a surfer catching a moving wave, I can make the noise loud enough to make you wonder if we're going to need a tow truck to get home.

Once again, the dealer has our Journey. It's going on NINE days now. They believe it's coming from the transmission despite the fact that the trans in on the opposite side on the vehicle.

So, the Journey continues. Pun intended.

DodgeCares - I would assume that the dealer has access to all service bulletins. I'm not sure if the transfer gear bearing SB would pertain to my Journey since it's two wheel drive, but thanks. The regional service rep from Dodge had his hands in it the last time it was at the dealer. I can only assume he/she has a broader view of whats going on with repeat service items. Or at least one could only hope.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-06-2011, 11:32 PM
steak59 steak59 is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,881
Default

You think it is from the right side of the vehicle? some Journeys are equipped with Extension Intermediate Shaft for the Right side Axle, the Bearing on that shaft goes bad sometimes.
But from your Description, It sounds more like the Transfer gear bearing noise as the TSB provided by DodgeCares. But as for the transfer gear noise, for me, it usually change it's tone/noise level when you change gear.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-07-2011, 09:56 AM
DodgeCares's Avatar
DodgeCares DodgeCares is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mopar HQ
Posts: 1,821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo View Post
Our mystery noise has gotten louder and more interesting. The original noise is more pronounced and is now accompanied by what can only be described as "distant machine gun fire." If I have my foot on the gas in the perfect sweet spot, like a surfer catching a moving wave, I can make the noise loud enough to make you wonder if we're going to need a tow truck to get home.

Once again, the dealer has our Journey. It's going on NINE days now. They believe it's coming from the transmission despite the fact that the trans in on the opposite side on the vehicle.

So, the Journey continues. Pun intended.

DodgeCares - I would assume that the dealer has access to all service bulletins. I'm not sure if the transfer gear bearing SB would pertain to my Journey since it's two wheel drive, but thanks. The regional service rep from Dodge had his hands in it the last time it was at the dealer. I can only assume he/she has a broader view of whats going on with repeat service items. Or at least one could only hope.
Whiskey,

The dealer does have access to all service bulletins. I post them just in case the dealer is not as thorough in seeking them out as they should be, which unfortunately happens too often in my opinion.
__________________
Jack

Dodge Social Care Specialist
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-08-2011, 12:53 PM
WhiskeyBravo WhiskeyBravo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17
Default

Update: The dealer tells me that Dodge insists that they try replacing the engine mounts before dropping the trans. Almost two weeks now at the dealership.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-08-2011, 09:12 PM
steak59 steak59 is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo View Post
Update: The dealer tells me that Dodge insists that they try replacing the engine mounts before dropping the trans. Almost two weeks now at the dealership.
The passenger side Motor Mount does fail, But I only seen it once in past 2 yrs. It makes a Creaking noise when you accelerate. you can usually duplicate the noise by Brake Torque the vehicle.
But 2 weeks for something small like this is a little... dramatic.
is the dealership you use a Small dealership with like 2 techs?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-09-2011, 08:30 AM
WhiskeyBravo WhiskeyBravo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17
Default

It's definitely not a creaking sound, but I can understand their desire to rule out the less expensive parts first....although "first" is more like 8th, 9th, or 10th at this point. I don't know. I've lost track.

The dealership is not small by NJ standards, so that's pretty big. I think they have about 8 bays, a whole bunch of mechanics, at least 3 service writers, and a tool room (the one with all the specialty tools in clamshell cases) as big as a 2 car garage.

I don't expect to get my car back any time soon. When they finally figure out what's going on, I hope this thread will serve as a referernce for some other poor soul that runs into the same issue.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-10-2012, 03:13 PM
WhiskeyBravo WhiskeyBravo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17
Default Update:

An update for anyone following this thread. The noise was finally fixed just before the holidays. It turned out to be part of the engine mount.

Since then, the windows started giving us problems going up and down. Apparently there is a service bulletin about this issue. Been back twice now for the windows.

Also, the brakes began to pulsate again even though they were repaired under warranty back on August. This time 3 of 4 rotors were replaced.

The dealership gets cold chills when they see my number on caller ID now. They tell me I'm RED FLAGGED by Dodge Corporate. Whatever that means.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-13-2012, 08:05 PM
WhiskeyBravo WhiskeyBravo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17
Default Final Update

I wanted to give everyone who was following this post my final update. Chrysler agreed to a vehicle buy-back under NJ Lemon Law. The Journey is finally off my driveway and out of my hair.


Thank you to everyone who was following this thread. Hopefully this thread will be a reference for others in the future. We were a Dodge family for the past 40 years starting with a Cornet Custom Wagon followed by a long string of Caravans and T&C before the Journey. That tradition has finally ended.

Last edited by WhiskeyBravo; 04-13-2012 at 08:15 PM..
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:05 PM
 
 
 
Reply




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join DodgeForum
Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:10 PM.

Internet Brands, Inc.


Contact Details & Emails