Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Transmission Dip Stick?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 01:03 AM
Ram Job
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Dip Stick?

I know this has been asked before, but does anyone have the link on who sells a dip stick for the Magnum? Ridiculous that D/C won't even let you check your own fluid levels!

Old 05-30-2005, 03:05 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transmission Dip Stick?

You have buy the special tool from DCX and it would help to have a STARSCAN to be able to check it properly (the precise reason DCX doesn't provide one with the car). Newer cars are getting very difficult for the backyard enthusiast to repair/work on. We have to do things to protect ourselves from the liability of having untrained persons work on the product and then complain that it breaks. You may being saying "it's transmission fluid", "how difficult can it be to check"? Well, the procedure is actually fairly entailed and MUST be followed PRECISELY. over/under filled fluid is the number 2 reason for failure followed only by lack of maintenance.

Old 05-30-2005, 03:21 PM
dll2k4

Denny, the owner's manual (at least '05) recommends checking the trans fluid level at each oil change. Is that your rule of thumb?
thanks

Old 05-30-2005, 04:04 PM
dodgemech
All Star

Daimler claims that the fluid level is crucial (the reson why they don't want you messing with it) and that unless you have a leak there is no reason to have the dipstick. Our policy is to leave the sealed plug in place unless there is a transmission problem. I do not check fluid level unless there is a specific reason to, I also do check for leaks or shifting concerns at every service though.

Old 05-30-2005, 08:20 PM
Ram Job

I understand about checking the fluid with the stick and calibrating the line on the dip stick with the computer temp reading, but if I had the stick itself, couldn't I wait until morning and check the level on the stick, then the following morning assuming the ambient air tem is close to the day before check the fluid again on the stick and compare the calibration marks? This way, I should be able to change trans fluid and the trans filter on my own.

If anyone remembers where to buy the stick or has the link to the company that sells the stick, I'd sure appreciate it.

Old 05-31-2005, 03:27 AM
dodgemech
All Star

I guess you could....the only place to get a stick is from Miller special tools and you can't leave it in.

How many miles are you at? Even service group B only suggests service every 60K. Again i have to warn about how EXTREMELY IMPORTANT fluid level is to proper trans operation. It is so important that if you experience failure and we find out someone has been in there (like to service it) we will deny the warranty claim. Anything else...go to town and do your maintenance, just leave the transmission to the professionals.

Old 05-31-2005, 12:10 PM
Ram Job

Thanks Denny. I guess you are correct on leaving the job to the pros. What worries me when I was at the local dealer, I was talking to the mechanic and he wasn't aware of the process you described on checking the tranny fluid level and that scared me.

Old 05-31-2005, 12:16 PM
dodgemech
All Star

ORIGINAL: Ram Job

Thanks Denny. I guess you are correct on leaving the job to the pros. What worries me when I was at the local dealer, I was talking to the mechanic and he wasn't aware of the process you described on checking the tranny fluid level and that scared me.
[sm=wtf.gif] You have got to be kidding....I'd find a new dealer or call the S.M. and demand he start getting his techs trained. That is inexcusable, with the exception of the lube tech(even he should know it) every one with a tool box in the shop should know that by now.

Old 05-31-2005, 12:42 PM
Ram Job

ORIGINAL: dodgemech

ORIGINAL: Ram Job

[sm=wtf.gif] You have got to be kidding....I'd find a new dealer or call the S.M. and demand he start getting his techs trained. That is inexcusable, with the exception of the lube tech(even he should know it) every one with a tool box in the shop should know that by now.

Nope, not kidding at all. Scarey.

Quick Reply: Transmission Dip Stick?