Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Irritating squeak from rear seat

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 10:13 AM
kowalcs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Irritating squeak from rear seat

Does anyone else have a constant squeak from your rear seat latch area? I have a very irritating squeak where the rear seat latches on the driver's side. I haven't been able to exactly pinpoint its exact location. Has anyone else experienced this squeak and successfully fixed it?

Old 04-07-2006, 05:53 PM
CarFinish
Rookie
Default RE: Irritating squeak from rear seat

no squeeks...plant someone in the back and drive around...you'll find it

Old 04-07-2006, 06:07 PM
mangum

I get a squeak from my cover that goes over the cargo area. I believe others have reported this as well. Sometimes goes away if you roll the cover back in or out. I hear it both ways. I haven't had a chance to totally remove the cover yet, but it bugs the hell out of me sometimes. I recently added a base for a child seat. It has a ball bearing in a plastic case that you use to level the seat out. Now all I hear is the ball bearing rattling and it masks any other sounds. At least I know I can remove it anytime I want and it will go away.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:46 AM
kowalcs
Professional

Well, it's not the cover because I never have that in. Like stated above, I need someone to help me do some detective work. Sure drives me nuts sometimes.

Old 08-13-2006, 12:32 AM
w2him

I have a 2005 Magnum that I bought used in March 06. For the most part I LOVE it BUT the noise is very irritating. I did some investigating to try and pinpoint the issue. If the seats are pulled down it doesn't make the noise - it's only when they are latched. It still makes the noise even if someone is sitting in the seat. We first tried lubricating the latch and that made it worse. We then tried electrical tape on the latch and that actually fixed it for awhile. It seems to be back and I'm not sure if it just needs new tape or not. I was hoping someone out there had discovered a real solution for the problem. It really bothers me and any advise for a permanent fix would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:10 AM
kowalcs
Professional

I finally fixed mine. You have to remove the side trim right behind the rear seat that comes down on an angle. There is a spring riveted to the trim and then that spring goes into the body to attach it. Well, on mine that rivet was loose and the metal spring was rubbing on the body. I put some flock on the spring and it's been fine ever since. Let me know if you're confused as to what I'm talking about. I could take some pics to show you what trim I'm talking about.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:52 AM
w2him

Pictures to guide me would be very helpful. I think I know what part you're referring to but not sure how to take it apart. If you're able to explain it without causing you much hassle, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm just so thankful there is hope to fix it since the dealer didn't seem to help or care.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:54 AM
kowalcs
Professional

I'll take a picture of it tonight and look at it again and post some steps for you. I think I'm starting to get it on the other side now too. Guess I'll have to take that apart too now.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:44 PM
ou81aswell

I had a loose side trim panel behind the rear passenger-side seat. (06/RT) It was more of a rattle than a squeak. I tried to fix it myself but ended up taking it to the dealer who had a special tool.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:10 PM
kowalcs
Professional

ORIGINAL: w2him

Pictures to guide me would be very helpful. I think I know what part you're referring to but not sure how to take it apart. If you're able to explain it without causing you much hassle, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm just so thankful there is hope to fix it since the dealer didn't seem to help or care.
Sorry, no pics. But, tilt your seat forward and then remove the speaker grill/trim. Then remove the bolster that runs right along your seat, right up against the body. This is the part that has the spring on it that goes through a hole in the body. Put flock on that spring and you're good to go.

Quick Reply: Irritating squeak from rear seat