Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

SRT8 with new Zoomers whips older Corvette!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 03:38 AM
qzking
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT8 with new Zoomers whips older Corvette!

(Sorry! I posted this on the SRT8 page but wanted to make sure a few of my friends over here didn't miss it!)
Hey everybody!
Got my Zoomers installed today! What a great operation! Ron was so helpful and their whole staff is "First Class". After I left Zoomers and got the SRT8 washed for the 4th time this week, (see my post about $29.99, unlimited car washes) I went down to Sunset Beach and made everyone come out and listen to the Vroooooooooooom! And I'm telling you. The sound of these Zoomer's in unbelievable.

Anyway, I left Sunset Beach and as I was driving towards home, South on PCH, I happened to get stopped at a light by the State Beach entrance. This is like the perfect spot to run-her-up for a short distance. There was this pretty blonde woman driving this older Corvette convertible and it was "puss'! I rolled down the window, complimented her on the car and asked what year it was. She said proudly that it was the 25 year anniversary Corvette. I did the math. It was a 1970 and it was cherry!. I said "Just got this. Want to see what she'll do?" She laughed like I was kidding and then I saw her eyes get a little bit bigger. We rolled together away from the light up to about a 10 MPH roll and I just gave it a goose but let right off. Off she goes. I mashed the SRT8 down. I had it in Auto-Stick. I flew past her before she got out of first and just kept pulling away. Now, this was a very short run. We never got over 70, I believe. We both lifted and she was 4-5 car links behind. I just left it in second and let those Zoomers zoooooom as she came up next to me. Had a great big smile on her face and we both gave the "thumbs-up" sign. I cannot call this a kill. But I will call it a thrill!

Ended up cruising Main Street at Huntington Pier, then back down Coast Highway to Newport Pier. On the way back a late model Corvette was behind me enjoying the Zoomer sounds. He finally got up next to me in a 25 MPH zone in Newport! Another convertible. He and his wife both were just loving the SRT8 and, especially the sound. Asked about HP, etc. while we were doing the 25 MPH. Then we turned on PCH North and I caught the outside lane and gave it the WOT for 100 yards. They came up and were just smiling and saying how great it sounded. Then I see this Camero behind us, weaving around traffic, trying to catch up. So I pulled away from the Corvette couple and, without driving much over the speed limit but using the Auto-Stick to just slide up into a spot, quickly, and then the next slot, while watching this Camaro just driving crazy trying to catch up. Finally he was getting real close. Another dangerous lane change away from catching me and I caught a clear spot in the right land and nailed the SRT8. Watched the Camero weave his way, again, through traffic to catch up. But he had been close enough to hear and see/feel the SRT8's acceleration and when he finally came up next to me they just looked over with a grin and stayed just off my left rear and listened to the pipes.

I know this sounds like a pipe dream or BS crap that people post. It's the God's honest truth. This is So. Calif. and I had two other, minor but similar, experiences before I got back to the house. I thought the SRT8 was fun before. JUST ADD ZOOMERS! Un-be-Fricken-lievable!

Can't wait to drive her tomorrow!
KK

Old 08-06-2005, 02:09 PM
grinner
All Star
Default RE: SRT8 with new Zoomers whips older Corvette!

ahhh
magnum diaries by qxking.

good read, man.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:25 PM
qzking
Professional

Well grin. From the lambasting I got elsewhere, it sounds like I actually picked on someone! Thought all Corvettes were fast and then I go and get the snail edition I guess!

Can't seem to get anything right!
KK
ORIGINAL: grinner

ahhh
magnum diaries by qxking.

good read, man.

Old 08-06-2005, 04:18 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

Mighty impressive. I'm suprised the Camaro wanted a peice of you though. Lol

-Matt-

Old 08-08-2005, 03:47 AM
qzking
Professional

I cannot believe I am even taking another chance and posting this experience after my Corvette lambasting, but here we go.

My wife was injured in an accident in our home in 2001 and is confined to a wheel chair. When I got the new SRT8, she was able to get into the front seat for a demo ride. Brand new so I couldn't really let the SRT8 "stretch her legs". My wife has been bugging me ever since for another ride, so we went to my son's (From my 1st marriage. Now 39 years old!) house in Newport Beach for dinner today. My wife, our 18 year old son and I took off down PCH in the SRT8. Cruised past the pier and got stuck in the right lane @ 1st street, next to a Z-28. Now I don't know what year it was but it was a "later model" Z-28 that looked modded. Had some badging under the Z-28 that I could not decipher. Anyway. My son says, "Dad are you going to race him?" We were near downtown so I say, "Son, this is the last place that you would want to do something like that. There are HB cops everywhere". But my lane ended just a couple of hundred yards past the light and I had eased up next to the Z-28 and stayed back a little so he had no idea. Light turns green and I launch past him, change lanes with the turn signal and let up. Here comes the Z-28, and low and behold, at Beach Blvd. we hit the red light. Now he has already flown by me and is waiting. I pull up. Check the rear view mirror. Look up Beach Blvd. Check the rear view again and say to my son. "Now this looks like a better spot!" Light turns green, we both punch it and I just pull away but, as I have stated in other posts, my SRT8 hiccups between 1st and second when I have it in auto-stick and it really hiccupped this time. Z-28 comes by me and then the SRT8 burps and comes back to life. I flew by the Z-28 and let off. So did they and then they came up and just smiled and gave us the peace sign.

Sitting at the next light and I said to my wife. "Kinda feels like we're kids again. Doesn't it?" She just smiled and said something about my having a mid-life crisis but I know she really loved it!

Another touching "family moment" for the Kings! My son was just loving the whole deal!

Hope I don't get my *** handed to me again tomorrow for picking on someone. Just seemed like the right thing to do and thought someone out there might enjoy the story.
KK

Old 08-08-2005, 10:23 AM
a76marine

Nothing like your hot rod being smoked by a family in a wagon... LOL.

Old 08-08-2005, 07:32 PM
strippedhemi
Veteran

I can blast all i want. I have a cherry C4 Corvette roadster with LT98 V8. My RT will totally smoke it and even outcorner it and it has 275/35 tires all around while my RT has the stock Cont tires. It pushes quite a bit in such a hard turn, but will still turn that corner at a higher speed than the vette before the rear starts coming around. Needless to say, I drive my Magnum much more than the convertible that only gets out a few times a week.

Old 08-08-2005, 08:26 PM
qzking
Professional

stripped,
Nice to have that option though! I know I am jealous.
KK
ORIGINAL: strippedhemi

I can blast all i want. I have a cherry C4 Corvette roadster with LT98 V8. My RT will totally smoke it and even outcorner it and it has 275/35 tires all around while my RT has the stock Cont tires. It pushes quite a bit in such a hard turn, but will still turn that corner at a higher speed than the vette before the rear starts coming around. Needless to say, I drive my Magnum much more than the convertible that only gets out a few times a week.

Quick Reply: SRT8 with new Zoomers whips older Corvette!