Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Dash Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 02:33 AM
Cummins12Valve
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dash Swap

I was thinking of swapping the dash from my 1998 Ram 1500 (which im parting anyways) into my 1996 Cummins, My Cummins is my pride and joy and I dont want to attempt anything that will leave it in pieces. Ive heard that anything to do with the dashboard is a pain in the ***, but when I removed the 98's it took me a solid hour and there wasn't much involved except for about 300 screws, from what I seen the only thing that may give some trouble is the metal mounting frame that the dash screws onto, Im not sure if the holes will line up on a 96 also the cluster may be a bit of a hassle aswell as the vents, So if anyone has any info they could give me I would really appreciate it

Thanks

Old 04-10-2009, 04:48 AM
Cummins12Valve

anyone?

Old 04-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Scott91370
Professional

Can't tell you if it will line up correctly, but make sure you tighten all the screws/bolts. Some of them are grounds and a lot of crazy stuff will happen if they are not grounded correctly.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LIVE THREAD!!!! LIIIIIVE!!!

My dash is in terrible shape, top and bottom halves, and this is something I have been podering for quite a while. Anyone done/ attempted this yet?

Old 10-04-2011, 03:00 AM
mrfarrell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its possible...i was going to do this on my gasser it was pretty involved thou, mostly because i was going to use all the wiring dash and everything from an 01 into my 96, if your just using the dash and leaving your wiring id just put everything in airbox and all and splice everything in to make it work, should be fairly easy actually...that way you dont have to worry about the ducting or anything...you may just motivate me to give this project another go...there is more tuning options for the 01 and it had a more modern cleaner looking dash...

Old 10-24-2014, 07:07 PM
coopab
Default 96 Ram 2500 diesel dashboard woes

Originally Posted by Scott91370
Can't tell you if it will line up correctly, but make sure you tighten all the screws/bolts. Some of them are grounds and a lot of crazy stuff will happen if they are not grounded correctly.
From "Dash Swap" Cummins 12 Valve thread

Our 96 Ram diesel has had dash issues for a long time, but a few months back the air bag spontaneously activated (apparently due to corrosion issues down in the floorboard area). Since then our 80+ year old "expert" replaced the steering column including an intact air bag. The old steering column was wobbly so needed to be replaced anyway.
  • Since then almost the entire array of dash lights and gauges is non-functioning.
  • Turn signal indicator lights are about the only thing that works.
  • The fuel gauge has been stuck on "F" for a few years and we were using the odometer to track when to fill up. Now the odometer/speedometer are not working.

I wonder if there are any magicians on this list that can point me in the direction of bad grounds that could be causing this major inconvenience.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:35 PM
tincan57
Captain

^^^I am with Wombat Ranger and the OP in hopes this thread receives a response for the OP's 98 gasser to 96 Cummins dash swap, perhaps also anyone who has done a change out that can provide input on the finished outcome and or problems encountered in this effort.

My 98 Ram 1500 has a bad dash and my 99 Cummins dash could use a replacement. The 97 2500 gasser that I sold was perfect until a heater core issue required work and thus several issues emerged............... Live thread............K.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:10 PM
1998 rollover

My son and I just did a complete swap. 1998 rollover 2500 Diesel 4x4 .We took everything from a 2001 1500 Gasser and put on 98 running gear. The dash was rather easy. Five screws by windshield, one bolt on each end of dash by kick panels( just loosen these, dash will pivot on these) remove steering column, e-brake, vacuum hose behind glove box, main wiring bulkhead, and out it comes.

Quick Reply: Dash Swap