Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Towing help-weight distribution or air bags???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 04:48 PM
The jackel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing help-weight distribution or air bags???

Hello all. I am new to this site but a long time dodge owner (pictures coming soon).

Ok Here's the question; I have a 2010 dodge ram mega cab turbo diesel. It has an electronic brake controller installed from the factory so I'm good there. I've been hauling a Lance camper 815 and am now upgrading to a travel trailer. The trailer is a 30ft (33'3" w the tongue) weighing in at about 6,900lbs UVW. I already have airbags installed on my truck, so do I even neethe weight distribution hitch? Can I get by with just the hitch w the sway bar attachment that goes on one of the smaller side ball hitch?

Any and all help will be appreciated. I've always grown up camping but my families always had motor homes. I used to tow a 20ft boat but it was never enough to require anything special

Thanks

Old 04-05-2011, 04:55 PM
The jackel

I should say too, I am not taking any long distance trips any time soon but will be next year. A lot of my trips are short 200 mile max round trip w the family

Old 04-05-2011, 11:14 PM
jwblock

Oh Boy, where to start! I own your setup, except I have a 3500. The short answer is you "need weight distribution". I do not care what kind of truck you own. Your choice is what? Carry the tongue weight on the ball? Not in your lifetime. You need to do some research, and a very good place to start is at the "Trailerlife" forum, just google it. I'm trying to be helpful and nice at the same time. Go to the trailer life forum and make this exact same post, you will get alot of responses, also search the archives, this sublect has been discussed on the TL forum and beat to death there.

The operative statement in your post is with "family". You have a top notch vehicle and will soon have a new TT, and why exactly do you think you do not need weight distribution? Why do some so many people think "it's only 200 miles" I will be ok.

Please, this is not the correct forum, go to trailer life forum. If you decide against weight distribution, pleas edo not take your family with, I do not care how short the trip is.....

Old 04-06-2011, 06:50 AM
Tazman40
Professional

Ya u need a WDH set up.For what they cost its not even a option in my book.You will be suprised the difference they make.Even with airbags you will get the rockin horse bobble,WDH will rid most of that.The last thing u want on a rainy day going around a corner and hitting a low or high cross tube and have that tongue pick enough weight off the rear tires of your truck and putting u in a slide.WDH is easy to set up and only takes a minute to hook up.IMO its not even a option.I use one with my 2500 and i only pull a little 21.5 foot camper that might hit 5000 lbs loaded.Its like its not even there.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:51 PM
The jackel

Well this definitely helps guys. I appreciate it. I figured this would be the answer I was more so curious if someone would post siding against it because I've seen on other threads people posted on other sites that they don't bother with the WDH. All this said, WDH it is.

Tazman, I really appreciate the real world example and it's good to hear the opinion w the same setup.

JWblock, a little harsh there. But I totally get ur point

Old 04-06-2011, 01:58 PM
jwblock

Good luck to you! Now, the real challenge, which WD to buy?

Old 04-07-2011, 04:15 PM
The jackel

I know right? That's what I'm looking at now. Easy way I rule out is weather I've heard of them or not. Then narrow it down to how much I've heard about them

Old 04-08-2011, 06:49 AM
Tazman40
Professional

This is a very good set up.I warn you though,be sitting when you see the price.But its probably the best set up there is.If i was retired pulling a 5er all year ,this is what i would have.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/produc...stribution.php

Reese also makes good hitches as well.

http://www.reese-hitches.com/product...tribution_kits

Just make sure when getting one you know what your tongue weight is so you get the right size trunnion bars.Its also better to get a little heavier ones than what you need.

Last edited by Tazman40; 04-08-2011 at 06:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Towing help-weight distribution or air bags???