Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

99 2500 won't start after fuel filter swap.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:19 PM
CollinDow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 2500 won't start after fuel filter swap.

So I dumped a new fuel filter into my truck today, and tried to start 'er up. It didn't start, so I did the next logical step and cycled the key to get the transfer pump going. I can hear it whirring away, no problem, still no start.
So I loosened the intake banjo, and tried again. Fuel sprayed every which-away, which to my mind says my transfer pump is hale and hearty.
Is that right, or could my transfer pump still be shot?
Any further things I could do to get to the bottom of this?
Thanks,
Collin

E: the noise the pump is making is a whirring, which I assume to be the proper noise, but don't really know for sure. Considering walking out to get a new pump.
E2: I tried to bleed both return and intake fuel lines. The return took about 10 seconds before it started leaking diesel...but it never spewed with pressure the way the intake does.

Last edited by CollinDow; 02-11-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:43 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

I believe the older engines had a prime button, somewhere near the injection pump.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:01 PM
CollinDow

To my understanding, the 24v doesn't have a prime button; and I haven't seen one in there either.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:22 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 12 valves have a primer, but I don't know about the 24 valves.

I believe you are going to need to crack each injector line to bleed them, one at a time. Be careful, that high pressure fuel can hurt you.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:29 PM
CollinDow

I've read variously that the 1, 3 and 4 injectors, or the 3, 4 and 5. Regardless, I don't seem to be getting fuel to any of the injector lines, with the exception of number 5. I'm beginning to think my lift pump is working but not making enough power. Getting a fuel pressure gauge here in a few minutes. Hopefully that'll put this to rest. Also getting a new pump, just in case.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:23 PM
CollinDow

Plugged a gauge into my filter; the pump is pushing 11 PSI. I've bumped the sucker a good 7, 8 times now for line 4 and 5, and probably 4 times for line 3. The only line to spray and diesel is #5. The other two stubbornly refuse to bleed off all of their air. I can't feel any air flow out of them while the pump is going, either, though I don't know if that's normal.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:10 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They won't push air/fuel without the engine spinning over. Crack the line and give it hell. It's not a common rail setup, the line isn't open until the injection pump tells it to squirt. Open them all and crank it over until fuel starts dribbling out, then close them off.

11psi should be within factory spec, but check it again with the engine running at idle, and also WOT under load and see where it's sitting. IIRC anything under about 7 psi and you're not going to be flowing enough fuel to cool the IP.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:22 AM
CollinDow

I was under the impression that just bumping to get the fuel pump going was good enough. I'll have to go out and crank the poor bastard like mad in the morning, then!

Old 02-13-2015, 04:27 PM
CollinDow

So I cracked 1, 3, 4, 5 (I can't reach 6 and I can't get to two, because my wrench is too big without taking off the frigging intake manifold, and I don't have time before work.) All of the lines I cracked are wetted with diesel, although my assistant didn't notice actual dripping. They were dry previously, so obviously at least some diesel is getting out.
However, the beast still won't start.
Am I going to need to pull off the intake manifold to get to #2 and figure out how to get my wrench in to #6? Or do I just need to keep on trying until diesel is visibly dripping from the lines? I'm going crazy, taking the bus, so I've gotta get this figured haha.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:17 AM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

Keep cranking until fuel is coming out of the line. Don't worry too much about the lines that are hard to get to. It will sound rough when it first starts.

Quick Reply: 99 2500 won't start after fuel filter swap.