Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Propane Injection

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 01:55 PM
handymanherb
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Propane Injection

The new Diesel Power is great, got a big how it's works and they covered it all, somewhat.

And it has me wondering why I haven't heard none of youall talking about it.

PRO's
70 to 100 HP gain
2 to 3 MPG gain
your diesel fuel burning amost a 100 percent so more torque
and the best for last because it help burn all the fuel you get lees soot and your oil will stay cleaner.

Con's you have to add a tank and get propane once in a while, said you use about 25 percent of your fuel use, I don't know yet if your figure in gallons or pounds

Old 06-06-2007, 02:24 PM
handymanherb
Banned
Old 06-06-2007, 02:32 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Default RE: Propane Injection

I saw this n trucks before and have been wondering about it in the real world uses also. will read up on it somemore. might be woorth it.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:15 PM
6.7cummins

I have a friend the run propane in 2 of his ford trucks it is like running nos. But like anything in performance you have to run it in moderation or you can burn it up.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:47 PM
handymanherb
Banned

No one here has the propane injection?, I was hoping someone figured out to do it as safe and cheaper than you could buy

Old 06-08-2007, 03:51 PM
R0oster31
Veteran

Well the thing that always had me wondering is you get a gain in diesel mileage, but what about overall fuel cost per mile. If you are running propane then you have to figure that into the cost per mile. If you raise your diesel fuel mileage 2 mpg but that raise costs 10 dollars in propane per 20 miles or whatever you are getting for mileage, you still lost money. If there is someone out there that has run the numbers and could say what the difference in fuel costs were that would be very helpful. It only makes sense that you would get an increase in diesel fuel mileage as your truck is burning propane as an additional fuel.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:13 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I ran the numbers on a previous post somewhere on this forum. It does not save you money. Depending on the propane prices and time of year, you would have to drive about 225,000 to 250,000 miles before you came out ahead.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:15 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Hey I actually found the old post! Here ya go! I don't know what the going rate for propane is right now. This was written back in March.

I like to number crunch and this one looked like fun. Let's just assume for the sake of argument that what they say in the article is 100% correct and we are only putting this unit on for mileage increases and we care less about performance increases. The article says that most diesel engines only burn 75% of the diesel they use. The kit makes it burn 100%. So that means that you will get a 25% boost in your MPG. So take you existing mileage and multiply it by 1.25% on a calulator and that would be your new MPG.

I'm getting right around 19.5 to 20MPG when empty and running the speed limit on the interstate. I will round up to 20 just to keep the math simple. My new MPG would be 25 MPG.

The cost of diesel right now where I am is about $2.50 a gallon so that means that if I burn 30 gallons (a tank) of diesel that I would save $15.

It says in the article that it takes about 25% propane for the amount of diesel you use. I would need 7.5 gallons of propane for the 30 gallons of diesel. Right now where I am at in middle Tennessee, propane is just under $3 a gallon. So 7.5 gallons of propane would cost me $22.50. But in the summer time propane is around $1.75 a gallon. So in the summer time my cost of propane is $13.12.

In the winter time it would cost $22.50 to save $15 on diesel so I would not save any money in the winter time. In the summer time it would cost $13.12 to save $15 in diesel. The only time I would save money is in the summer time and I would save $1.88 per tank.

If I only used the propane injection when the cost of propane is low, I would save $1.88 a tank. The propane unit cost $649 so I would have to burn appx. 345 thirty gallon tanks or (10,350 gallons of diesel or 258,750 miles@25MPG) before I broke even for the cost of the unit vs. the savings in diesel fuel.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:45 AM
moconst
Veteran

Doesnt it hurt the engine? Id be scared to try it on my new truck, just my opinion

Old 06-09-2007, 02:57 AM
handymanherb
Banned

Well a CTD would have no problem getting mileage but I do like the ideal of less soot in my oil and making my engine last longer, the 70 to 100 HP gain would be a nice side effect to getting better mileage.

I rather do it cheaper and I was reading some posts in another diesel site, I guess I have to keep searching for someone with real numbers, one guy said he was getting 1500 miles per tank, and I find that hard to believe, I get 500 miles with highway miles and city mixed, so I don't think your going to triple it , maybe he hit the wrong key and didn't read his own post.

But thanks for the answers

Quick Reply: Propane Injection