Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1999 Ram Van 5.9 won't start and fuel gage not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 10:47 AM
fiftythree
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Ram Van 5.9 won't start and fuel gage not working

I thought for a while it was the relays, but I have swapped all the relays around in the fuse box so they seem fine. Every once in a while I can get it to work, but mostly it turns over and doesn't fire as if there's no fuel. Sprayed some starter fluid in the air intake and got it to chug a little so spark seems ok.

The wierd thing being, if the fuel gage shows no fuel, then I know it's not going to start. It has a half a tank of gas in it.

Is this a computer problem? Should I see if I can borrow a diagnostic unit and get some codes?

Herb

Old 08-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be a bad ground for the fuel tank gauge and pump motor. Check the ground wire near the right rear door near the back side of the door hinge side jam. Clean and reattach that ground strap and see if that solves your problem. Otherwise you might need to drop the tank and check the connections on the pump module.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:00 PM
fiftythree

Progress report: disconected the wire coupler to the tank. Checked for voltage. Had a little less than 12 coming from one wire while key was in the on position. Then re connected and showed fuel and started. It did however quit running once. It seems to run now but havnt driven it yet.

I'm not sure where your talking about w the ground strap location. I have an extended van with a slider side door. I couldn't see any ground strap anywhere near the tank from the underside.

Guess I may need to drop the tank? Any more help on where that ground strap might be located?

Old 08-14-2011, 09:05 PM
fiftythree

Here's also something weird: after the first time it stopped working, I can hear some kind of pump kick in for a second below the battery with what it looks like brake lines going in and out of it. Don't know if it always made that noise or not. Can you tell me what that part is?

Old 08-14-2011, 09:13 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by fiftythree
Can you tell me what that part is?
If you have 4-wheel ABS, then its the ABS pump.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

The ground location is on the right side behind the door on the floor. You will have to remove the trim in that area to see the floor and the ground wire.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:39 PM
fiftythree

I've pulled the trim at the step in area at the sliding door (passenger side) and don't see any ground. I assume you mean passenger side when you say right side. I am going to pull up the rubber floor and check the driver side because that is the side the fuel tank is on anyway. Not sure why the ground wouldn't be on that side.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

I meant the back door right side. I did forget that your van Dodge moved the tank forward of the rear axle. On the 97 and earlier it is for sure by the rear door on the floor. On yours it may be behind the drivers door on the floor.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:01 PM
fiftythree

My tank is plastic, so I guess if that's the ground you're talking about, there isn't one.

So I replaced the fuel pump unit for $220 and at least I can rule that part out, cuz it's still broken...

What I do know is that when the key is on, I am getting 11.37 volts or so from the light blue/black wire, and that both black grounds are grounded from the harness before the tank. Can't test the other hot without someone turning the key I guess, but that one is not registering voltage. Again - gas gage not registering properly.

I'm not sure what that tells me. I am trying to look at the wiring diagram from the full manual to find some info, but I'm wondering now if it is a bad computer. I do have a lot of lights that come on and off randomly - the brake and ABS, the check engine occassionally. Never had it checked for codes, probably should have I know.

I'm about to tow it to a mechanic soon. Be nice if I could figure it out tho.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:37 AM
baconater

Needs a PCM,tap on the pcm with a small hammer,dont beat the crap out of it.DDodge is having a major PCM issue,the guages go out,wont start,you can tap on the PCM or disconnect the 3 connectors and plug them back in and wiggle them up and down,the PCM have a internal crack or something in the circuit board.This made my van start,and dodge won't replace it,it is out of warranty,but a 2001 with 40,000 on it,this pcm should last a fricin life time,but no,they stuck it in my too too and wont replace it.Going to cost me$700.00 to replace,if you can find one,major backlog,backorder big time,GOOD LUCK,hope this gets it started for you,may die out again,but will start.

Quick Reply: 1999 Ram Van 5.9 won't start and fuel gage not working