Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Engine shuts off.. bad connector to PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 05:33 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a recent roadtrip, I was having the ECM. connector issues and was not aware the solder was compromised on the circuit board.

I had my dremel with me, and also some very fine diamond grit bits that could fit inside the sockets. I spent a while in a remote oceanfront parking lot cleaning out the inside of the sockets, and when reinstalled, the problems got worse. Even more pressure was required to reseat the connector, which caused the bad solder connections to get worse. And a true cursing fit ensued, while envisioning tow trucks, insane bills and the futility of trying to find a new ECM to install that would also allow me to have overdrive, as most ECMS are for the 3 speed only, at least for my Van.

Only by using a dozen zip ties holding the connector just so, was I able to drive away, and then later the 600 miles home, but several times I needed to readjust the multitudes of Zip ties and stalling was always a fear. It was a stressful 600 miles.

I would recommend not abrading the interior of the sockets with the files. Apply some DeOxit d5 or d100, let it work for an hour or two, then wet the micro q tips with more deoxit and clean out the oxidation. The first few precision swabs will get all torn up and turn black, but by the end they will come out clean and pink and the interiors will shine like oiled chrome.

Any filing will dig microscopic grooves and actually compromise conductivity long term. Also the connectors are tin coated copper, and the spring loaded arms, if filed, will have less spring tension to exert.

Stick with the DeoXit and precision swabs, IMO.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:00 PM
E350 4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Micro file order cancelled...

Old 03-16-2015, 07:36 PM
hoodjaray
Amateur

replace pcm or better yet send the one you had to get fixed that is what i did. Had exact same problem thought is was harness wire tied everything finally bought one from florida for 280 sent back my damaged one and then that one had error codes sent it back then they sent my old one back fixed. they were cool and easy peasy. good luck

Old 09-13-2015, 02:11 AM
Slomojo
Veteran

Here's a 12 zip tie solution to loose plugs & busted tabs of the PCM from a 1999 Ram.

I used a can of the CAIG Deoxit to clean all of the contacts along with a Clothes Pin and thus far there has been no more stalling during or after a 100 mile trip, drivability has improved, and mileage recorded prior has been 13.5MPG. If mileage goes up at all this will have to be one of the easiest and least expensive DIY quick fixes even for novices.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:05 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Slomojo
Here's a 12 zip tie solution to loose plugs & busted tabs of the PCM from a 1999 Ram.
Heh, heh, good solution.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:20 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

Nicely done.

Zip ties allowed me several more years of not having to fix the root of the problem, which was broken solder on the Connector pins.

I'm still stall free 9 months since reflowing the solder, and the zip ties are only to take the wire's weight off of the connector, not hold the connector in place.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:52 AM
Clint Radney
Default Reddish material

Originally Posted by landyacht318
Nicely done.

Zip ties allowed me several more years of not having to fix the root of the problem, which was broken solder on the Connector pins.

I'm still stall free 9 months since reflowing the solder, and the zip ties are only to take the wire's weight off of the connector, not hold the connector in place.
How did you get the gel Coating off the board? I've replaced three computers and one plug too. I have know it would fail and I tried repairing my last computer myself. I couldn't figure out how to get the gel substance off board and I had someone to solder my pins back. And also would it be just as easy to bypass the anti theft module? That's the relay that gets shutdown, the auto shutdown relay. If I can power that off another unaffected switched hot it should work correct?

Old 10-01-2015, 09:53 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

My 89 ECM is potted in silicone. I razored off a bunch and used a dremel and some precision tweezers with chisel ends. Tedious, not difficult.

Back on page 2, post 14, is what mine looks like.

Quick Reply: Engine shuts off.. bad connector to PCM?