Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

starting/ electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 09:27 PM
mcmichael
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting/ electrical problem

No crank from the starter, My back up truck was due for emissions and would not start after sitting for 6 months. It was the original starter, so i pulled it and took it in for testing. It had a huge draw and i thought it was going to blow the fuse on the testing machine. I bought a new one and installed it, still no crank, could not hear relay clicking either. Found no signal down smaller wire to starter so I ran a jumper from battery to terminal on starter and it cranked but would not stay running without holding the pedal down half way. Now the cat is glowing bright orange and cel is on with several codes, od off light is on and will not respond to button, shift indicator lights are not responding accurately and trans temp light is on. I was thinking neutral safety switch might be causing no signal to starter after jumper worked, but something else seems to be going on. Possible computer issue? 2001 2500 cargo van 5.9 95k miles, ran great when parked.
codes include p0505, p0123, p0753, p0132, p0205, p1763

i hate electronic issues, please help
thanks , michael

Old 03-18-2015, 09:39 PM
funair02
All Star

That is a real hard one...but with all of those codes, I would probably reflash the PCM to see if that clears the issues...

That is just way too many unrelated codes at once...crazy

The only time I remember in my life I have seen that many unrelated codes come out of the PCM was when the car was hit by lightning

Old 03-19-2015, 10:24 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Sounds to me like a critter got in and chewed on some wiring.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:14 PM
mcmichael

I had the upper engine harness destroyed by mice 2 years ago lol, state farm picked up that tab. The wiring was the first thing I looked at, it looks good externally. I reset the pcm twice with no change. When i put the cable back on and turned the key, the shift indicator light would show reverse or drive with shift lever in park position. and o.d, off light would stay on still. pcm may need to be professionally flashed? probably going to dealer monday, electrical troubleshooting online without the right tools can be too much for me i am afraid

Old 03-21-2015, 07:35 PM
mcmichael

alloro, you hit the nail on the head. wiring harness is destroyed on top of engine, I was checking out the wiring to from starter and pcm earlier, looked at full picture today and found the problem. Going to call state farm monday and see what they say. Last time this happened they paid the dealership almost $3000 for upper harness for injectors, who knows this time. Acts of nature are covered under full coverage, thankfully I have paid the few extra bucks over the years for the extra coverage. Seemed silly sometimes for an older truck, but it paid off last time, fingers crossed this time

Attached Thumbnails starting/ electrical problem-dodge-van.jpg  
Old 03-22-2015, 12:49 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Time to lay some mouse traps around.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:28 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might not hurt to have a hungry kitty cat around too! lol Hey as I read this I recall I had a little mouse infestation here 5-6 years ago, the little beasts took over the garage and got to where it was weird going into the garage seeing them and hearing them scatter to hide and they could be seen and heard racing in the attic. We stored the dog food in the garage in a plastic bin and the little buggers would chew a hole through the container low and out of sight. They nested and got into everything, chewing on wires and making havock Once we figured it out bought a metal feed bin they couldn't get into and laid some mouse traps out and soon they vacated, trapped more than 10 but there were still more .
If you park near where there is a food source for them you may want to cut off their supply

Old 03-23-2015, 10:20 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope that insurance will pay a second time for the same problem, your van is still worth the cost to fix (in the insurance man's eye) and that the wiring harness is even available.

On the other hand some wire, some solder and small iron and shrink tube might just take care of that problem. I can most likely do that if you live anywhere near Cincinnati and need a hand doing it...

I have a 24 x 48 pole barn garage and it was ate up with mice over the 20 years I have lived here even with barn cats roaming around. I finally got fed up when a squirel took residence in the front overhang soffit. I purchased 4 of these, put one in the rafters, and the other 3 around the inside perimeter. The squirel left before winter set in and I no longer have had a problem with mice since I got them in the fall of 2012.

http://www.amazon.com/Victor-M792-Heavy-Duty-PestChaser-available/dp/B001B1OI0A/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1427118948&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=victor+pest+chaser+pro http://www.amazon.com/Victor-M792-Heavy-Duty-PestChaser-available/dp/B001B1OI0A/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1427118948&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=victor+pest+chaser+pro

They emit a H-Freq noise that does not bother me, but sometimes a visiting friend will hear it and ask about it. I am so glad I added these as the damn mice chewing problems I have suffered have been eliminated in my garage.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:55 PM
mcmichael

The van is out by the alley. We usually have 5-10 alley cats around. Unfortunately, I think the cats made the mice hide up on top of the engine (where the wiring is damaged). Last time this cost State Farm $2500, 2001 cargo vans seem to be selling for about $1500 around here. Adjuster is coming out this week, we will see what happens.

Quick Reply: starting/ electrical problem