Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

You will need a 1/4 square head socket to fit your torque wrench.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 06:19 PM
Someday69
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question You will need a 1/4 square head socket to fit your torque wrench.

I've looked at every site on the web, spent a few hours, and nothing, nada..
Where can I buy this 1/4" square drive socket, that will fit an inch torque wrench???????? I know there must be lot's of people here who have them....
There always saying -- You will need a 1/4" square head socket to fit your torque wrench.....SOoo I know you've found a way to get them>>>>

Is this a secret, tool, that does not really exist?
I found web site where a guy was saying an 8mm wrench works, So maybe my 8mm socket will work??
And with the T40 trox screw on the outside of the 46re transmission like I have...It's real hard to get to...So- what kind of extension do you use...There are a few places'es where it says ''If you use an entension, it's not 72"lbs ..it's more like 47"lbs....

Anyway I'm done looking till I can get one of these place's on the phone .. Might have to pay Snap-on price's....Yet if that's the only place...
Thanks people...I'm done looking...I'll just check back here...later..:icon_flame throw:

Old 01-08-2017, 12:35 AM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you looking to or trying to do??? I have an idea of what, but better if you clarify.

just throwing out a suggestion here, there's talk that an 8pt or 12pt socket works if you can find em, or more readily available is a crow foot wrench that could do the trick in a pinch... maybe someone else has a better solution
http://www.sears.com/tools-wrenches-...s/b-1214364367

Not to tell you what to do or not to do but will suggest just once more, if your transmission is shifting fine and no obvious issues, leave it be except best option is a fluid and filter change

Last edited by JFloors; 01-08-2017 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:35 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miller-Speci...932974&vxp=mtr

If you have a square band adjustment screw then I believe this is the tool you are looking for. If you have the round screw with a T40 head, then use a T40 bit.

I strongly suggest not forcing the adjustment screw regardless. Apply liquid wrench/PB blaster/dexron until it comes loose, otherwise you may create a more serious issue.

Last edited by blackvan; 01-08-2017 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:55 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Search for an 8-point socket.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:12 PM
MarkofCain
Rookie

I assume from this that you are trying to adjust the Front Band on a 46RE transmission. The band is adjusted with 3 tools but sometimes a 4th tool is needed. First the 3 tools.

If you can easily reach the adjustment screw, you need 3 tools:

1) An Inch-Pound Torque Wrench
2) A 3-inch extension
3) A 5/16 socket

Procedure:
  1. Loosen the band adjusting screw locknut.
  2. Then back the locknut off 3 to 5 turns. Be sure the adjusting screw turns freely in the transmission case. Apply lubricant if necessary.
  3. Tighten the band adjusting screw to 8N-m (72 inch pounds).
  4. Then back off the front band adjusting screw 2 and 7/8 turns.
  5. Then while holding the adjusting screw in place, tighten the locknut to 41N-m (30 foot pounds).

If you have difficulty reaching the adjustment screw because of the shortness of the torque wrench, you will need the 4th tool http://r.ebay.com/Jqv4dX which is a way to lengthen the torque wrench. It is not an extension per se but acts about the same as sticking a cheater-pipe onto the grip-end of a ratchet -- only in this case the "pipe" attaches to the head of the torque wrench. If you use this tool, the torque wrench head which contains the torque mechanism will be farther away from the adjustment band screw and therefore the torque of the adjusting screw will have to be reduced to compensate. When using the 4th tool, the torque setting is 5N-m (50 inch pounds).

Here is a picture of the special adapter and how it is to be assembled to the torque wrench.

One unfortunate thing about the picture is that it doesn't show the 3-inch extension being used.

With this all said, I doubt if you really need it. Also, please check the actual torque settings for your transmission with what is printed in the service manual. I tried to make sure my figures are accurate but the responsibility is yours.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:28 AM
JFloors
Veteran

Though not the OP think it's great info guys! I've been obsessing today...(sorta) reading options over this square head 1/4" socket thing today. Since it's not a job needing heavy torque why not use a universal socket like this small set below from Sears that shows they're in store stock here anyway, Harbor freight possibly or maybe local parts place...

I tested the only 3/8 square head drain plug off the old radiator I have laying around on my sears universal ratchet wrench, it fit good on the 7/16 gear end as did the 3/8 extension, and a 1/2 inch extension fit well in the 9/16.

It seems reasonable then that a 1/4 extension should fit the 5/16 gear end but mine did not, it was way loose, but it did fit into both a 5/16 and an 8mm regular 6 point socket well. Who knows maybe an actual sq. head bolt is slightly larger and fits

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-9-pc-...p-00932823000P

Not a waste if it works, inexpensive and can be used on a few other common type of bolts styles for light jobs as well, instead of tossed in a drawer collecting dust

Done obsessing, time to get a life! lol

Old 01-09-2017, 03:58 PM
Someday69
Rookie

Rear band adjustment screw: 46re trany- it's 8mm across each side, it's square--
See it here:
On Utube...This guy went to an elaborate making of his own tool...
Here is the same rear band adjustment on a 46rh trany..Yet he does not say anything about the socket size!:

Here is a really good picture of the screw to adjust the rear band: It's at 1:22 to find it.

Ok, so now you know what I'm trying to find...if you have any info on where I find said socket= 1/4" square socket..Let me know..
I'll keep looking..if I find it I'll let You know, where I found one... later..

Old 01-09-2017, 11:12 PM
JFloors
Veteran

These double square 8 pt. sockets are probably your best bet like alloro suggested. You can see they come in 1/4 inch drive x 1/4, 5/16, 3/8

https://store.snapon.com/SPECIAL-APP...S-C796330.aspx

I was over thinking it yesterday, seeing if I were to have something to make due if it was me doing my rear band

Old 01-12-2017, 02:39 PM
Someday69
Rookie

Ok, thanks a lot for your advice and your time- I just bought a set of impact 1/4'' drive 6 point sockets, maybe the 8mm will fit that square end screw? The weather has let Up for a while so I'll drop the trany pan, and check it out.(before i pay $17+shipping) for a socket. Even if it is snap on...