Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

is leather supposed to melt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 09:30 PM
mjr1477
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is leather supposed to melt?

I teach at a city elementary school in one of the worst neighborhoods. I use my Club every day. It got up past 90 today and the Club melted the "supposed" leather-wrapped steering wheel. The ends of the Club that touch the wheel are rubber coated, so the metal isn't touching the wheel. The Club does get hot to the touch, but not that hot.

I have a 2003 Ram Quad Cab. Has Dodge pulled a fast one and put some imitation leather instead of real leather?

Has anyone else had this problem? I live in upstate New York. There has got to be people in much warmer areas that use Clubs.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Old 06-08-2004, 09:35 PM
Racer Rob
Veteran
Default RE: is leather supposed to melt?

I don't know what they use on the wheels, but it doesn't feel like real leather so my guess is its simulated leather.

Old 06-08-2004, 09:37 PM
slvrmagnum
Professional

Your truck would have said on the sticker as an option that it is a leather wrapped stearing wheel. It is an otpion and not all the trucks came with it.

Old 06-08-2004, 09:40 PM
mjr1477

I just called the dealer and they gave me the run-around, saying it is probably a defect in the club. I was also told that "there are different grades of leather." Which grade melts?

They told me to come in and they'd see if they can help me out. The dude kept telling me that I should contact the Club company first.

Sounds like I need to report something to the New York State Attorney General's Office.

"Leather-wrapped" to me means REAL LEATHER!

Mike

Old 06-08-2004, 09:58 PM
mjr1477

Just checked the sticker just to be sure.

It says: "leather-wrapped steering wheel"

Mike

Old 06-08-2004, 10:59 PM
JCswm
Veteran

Down here in the Sunshine state those steering wheels don't hold up very well at all!!!
It's like grabbing a handfull of playdoe on a hot day....
hand lotion also seems to do a number on them
I replace them all the time under the 3/36 warr with no problems!!!

Old 06-09-2004, 01:20 AM
glock45
Professional

Wow now thats hot! Do you have tinted windows? How about a sunshade for the windshield?

They also have the window mount solar powered fans to vent the hot air out of your car which from the sounds of it sits in direct sun.

I know about the hot steering wheel as the summer sun here in FL can be brutal on the cars interior if you let the temp build up like that. Not good for anything.

Old 06-09-2004, 01:34 AM
Racer Rob
Veteran

Yeah I always crack the windows or open the sliding back window so it doesn't get too hot inside. Thats not good for anything in the truck, including the truck itself.

Old 06-09-2004, 02:36 AM
SOPMOD

Billet Wheel, Problem Solved........For me anyway.........and it has real leather too...........Yep I know ya don't even have to say it.....lol

Later,
SOPMOD

[IMG]local://upfiles/4467/Qo390455609.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-10-2004, 02:02 PM
Palm
Professional

Now this is reall a bizarre thing to happen. I am really surprised to see this as I am on my second Dodge with the "leather wrapped wheel" and have not had any of these problems.

One thing that I do know, leather does not melt, and if Dodge is putting something on that does melt it's not leather, and they should be chastised to the fullest extent for doing it.

I wouldn't have believed that this was a common happening if JCswm had not made his post. I have had my steering wheel to get extremely hot, to the point it was uncomfortable to hold, but haven't noticed any undesirable results.

Quick Reply: is leather supposed to melt?