Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Mechanic replaced rear oil seal now leaking transmission fluid. Need to troubleshoot.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 12:12 AM
Volitics
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanic replaced rear oil seal now leaking transmission fluid. Need to troubleshoot.

Hello;

I have a 1997 Plymouth Breeze (same as Dodge Stratus). I just had a mechanic replace the rear engine seal. The engine seal was leaking oil. The repair seems to have stopped the rear engine seal from leaking oil.

I just got the car back from the garage. Now it's leaking transmission fluid. It was not leaking transmission fluid before taking the car to the repair shop yesterday. I am thinking that maybe the transaxle is leaking at a fitting somewhere that the mechanic had to remove then re-attach.

Here are exploded views of the automatic transaxle on the AutoZone dot com web site:
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

Is anybody familiar with the automatic transaxle fittings that have to be removed then re-attached on this model of car? Are any of the fittings likely to leak in the above-described scenario? Is there any other reason that the transaxle might have started leaking transmission fluid due to the above described repair?

I would appreciate any insight. Thanks.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:16 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: Mechanic replaced rear oil seal now leaking transmission fluid. Need to troubleshoot.

Well is the leak coming from the front pump area? or the solenoid pack area and the cooler lines do need to be removed to remove the trans.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:40 AM
tomthedog
Captain
Default RE: Mechanic replaced rear oil seal now leaking transmission fluid. Need to troubleshoot.

take it back to the shop, they should fix it for free.tell them "i realize it was just a honest mistake, buti needmy car fixxed". if they refuse, tell them you will contact thebetter business bureau.remember, most mechs are overworked and underpaid, all the money goes to the shop owner. hope it helps, good luck.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Volitics

master tech, tomthedog,

Thanks for responding to my post. I appreciate the ideas and the information.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Volitics

Does the front pump or the solenoid pack have to be removed in order to remove the transmission?

If the mechanic had to remove more than just the cooler lines they may have broken a gasket or something.

Is it likely that the leak is coming from a poorly re-attached cooler line or could the front pump or the solenoid pack be leaking instead?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Mechanic replaced rear oil seal now leaking transmission fluid. Need to troubleshoot.