Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

turbo strat sxt

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:40 PM
zareski19
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo strat sxt

hey i got an 2003 stratus sxt coupe 2.4 its got the mitsubishi block in im pretty sure when i looked at it last time i remeber seeing the 4g64 on the block its a sohc 16 valve im juss trying to find the cheapest way to get some resectable power i would love a turbo thinking bout it a sa winter project so would like to knio the cheapest effective way to turbo the car i was leaning twoards a engine swap from a srt4 but juss eeing about some people opinions and if they can help also any other performance upgrades besides intake would be great thanks to nehelp i recieve

Old 06-11-2009, 11:59 AM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by zareski19
hey i got an 2003 stratus sxt coupe 2.4 its got the mitsubishi block in im pretty sure when i looked at it last time i remeber seeing the 4g64 on the block its a sohc 16 valve im juss trying to find the cheapest way to get some resectable power i would love a turbo thinking bout it a sa winter project so would like to knio the cheapest effective way to turbo the car i was leaning twoards a engine swap from a srt4 but juss eeing about some people opinions and if they can help also any other performance upgrades besides intake would be great thanks to nehelp i recieve
Last I checked, SRT4 was a dodge engine. You are actually driving a Mitsubishi. An Eclipse to be more specific. Whatever mechanically you can do with a like model Eclipse, you can do with your stratus coupe. You give the impression of a tight budget with your car, and pretty much all turbo kits are over 1,000 for the parts alone, and custom fabrication may be necessary since there is very limited options for bolt-on to stratus coupe. Several of the 2g guys will be able to chime in here about suspension and breaks, intake/exhaust mods, etc. that may help a little.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:38 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there was a guy who swapped the top end of an evo motor into a 4 cylinder eclipse...which is basically what we drive, but with much better looking bodies.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:41 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You sound completely clueless.You need to do A LOT of research. There are books out there that explain everything or check out club3g.com. There are many boosted 4cyls.

You will want to swap a DOHC head on, because the SOHC head likes to let the car overheat when boosted. I went to Bristol Dragway a few weeks ago, and talked to an 00 Eclipse 4cyl owner running 12.7's.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:42 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

Originally Posted by pearl01stratcpe
You sound completely clueless.You need to do A LOT of research. There are books out there that explain everything or check out club3g.com. There are many boosted 4cyls.

You will want to swap a DOHC head on, because the SOHC head likes to let the car overheat when boosted. I went to Bristol Dragway a few weeks ago, and talked to an 00 Eclipse 4cyl owner running 12.7's.
were they running an evo head?

Old 06-11-2009, 06:28 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star

Originally Posted by BadStratRT
were they running an evo head?
Yeah. Unfortunately I didnt get any pics of the engine bay. It was super clean. You can also use the Kia Optima Head.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:23 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

someone from my civic site posted about an evo swap that he did on an eclipse base, but last time i looked at the thread, the photobucket pics were dead, so it was just alot of text...

Old 06-11-2009, 10:06 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star

Its surprising how 'easily' the 4g64 can be turboed. The 4G6x block has been around forever, and the engines are in many different vehicles. Kia Optima, Mitsubishi Outlander, Eclipse, Stratus/Sebring coupes. The head off the 2.0 EVO 4G63 fits and is a great addition to a turbo, and the turbo exhaust manifolds from 95-99 turbo Eclipses and Evo manifolds are a direct bolt on.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:16 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

i hear that...ive looked around for things like new manifolds for my 4g63t laser, and im shocked at how cheap i can find things..thanks to the huge aftermarket..

Old 06-13-2009, 01:59 AM
zareski19

so i found a turbo kit for a 00-05 eclipse with the 4g64 engine runs about 3500 bux now will this bolt right up to my block and should i have any problems running low boost on a stock engine i kno i should build the engine with better internals but want to try to get away with juss bolting a turbo kit up for now so any adivce would be good and again i kno i should build the engine but jw if i could get away running stock internals with low boost like 5 psi of boost

Quick Reply: turbo strat sxt