Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

WTB a Stratus; ABS Option how many are out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Zogy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB a Stratus; ABS Option how many are out there?

I am looking to buy a Stratus for my kids to drive. I would like to find one with ABS. I see plenty of listings which state ABS ... but I think they are mistaken. I saw a Stratus Sales brochure that states that ABS is packaged with 4 wheel disc brakes. So I came to the conclusion that if the car doesn't have 4 wheel disc brakes it doesnt have ABS. Can anyone tell me (definitively) if this is true? I cant even get a straight answer from the local Dealers. If you know you've got ABS and rear drum brakes I'd love to here from you. I am about to make a deal on a car without ABS , cause I am under the impression that VERY FEW Stratus actually have ABS brakes. Any feedback you have would be greatly appreicated.
Thanks.....

Old 02-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Zogy

Just to be clear... I am not looking for a response because I am trying to buy YOUR car. I am looking for some feedback regarding how rare ABS is and if I have any realistic chance at finding an ABS equiped Stratus in the market place .... as I am thinking thet are extremely rare... (aside from R/T trim). I am also trying to determine if I can use 4-wheel discs as a discriminator. Thanks again.....

Old 02-18-2009, 04:40 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Coupe or sedan? No coupe with rear drums (4cyl only) has ABS. Its hit and miss with the R/T and V6 SE. Some have it some don't. ABS sucks anyways.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:06 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by Zogy
Just to be clear... I am not looking for a response because I am trying to buy YOUR car. I am looking for some feedback regarding how rare ABS is and if I have any realistic chance at finding an ABS equiped Stratus in the market place .... as I am thinking thet are extremely rare... (aside from R/T trim). I am also trying to determine if I can use 4-wheel discs as a discriminator. Thanks again.....
You WANT abs?? I had the relays pulled out of every car I have that are equipped with ABS (including my '00 strat), with the exception of the now totaled '04 cavalier. A lot good the ABS did to stop the car there huh? I find I don't have the control with the buzzing and pulsing that I get on even moderate wet and snowy roads. Maybe it's just cause I learned to drive in a car without it, that it drives me nuts.
My dry road stopping distances were within 1ft (from 65mph) with and without abs, and wet roads actually turned in my favor by about 2ft w/out abs.

The trick is NOT to just mash your foot to the floor, but rather react to your surroundings, and not panic break.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:16 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never had a car with ABS. Only driven others with it. I prefer no ABS.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:28 PM
tomthedog
Captain

you guys need to grow up a bit. the guy is trying to trying to protect his kids. YES, EXPERENCED drivers are able to stop shorter, quicker, faster, and with almost the same controll as ABS (in all conditions). BUT, could you do it when you were 16? i know for a fact, and a few issues, i sure as hell could not.

with the vin a dealer should be able to tell for sure.

2000 and earlier coupe (2-door): ABS unit located forward of the left front wheel well.

1999 and earlier conv (2-door) & sedan (4-door): unit mounted to the right side of the front supension crossmember.

2000 and later conv and sedans: mounted to the left side of the bottom radiator crossmember.

this info is from a haynes. although it is limited i would agree that only 4-wheel discs have abs.
hope this helps.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:54 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Originally Posted by tomthedog
you guys need to grow up a bit. the guy is trying to trying to protect his kids. YES, EXPERENCED drivers are able to stop shorter, quicker, faster, and with almost the same controll as ABS (in all conditions). BUT, could you do it when you were 16? i know for a fact, and a few issues, i sure as hell could not.

2000 and earlier coupe (2-door): ABS unit located forward of the left front wheel well.

1999 and earlier conv (2-door) & sedan (4-door): unit mounted to the right side of the front supension crossmember.

2000 and later conv and sedans: mounted to the left side of the bottom radiator crossmember.

this info is from a haynes. although it is limited i would agree that only 4-wheel discs have abs.
hope this helps.
I am humbled. My apologies. I did miss the part about this car being for his kid. This leads me to perhaps a different question. Being so focused on a particular make/model car, without regard for features that it may or may not include, might not be the best way to look for a car. Personally I would do a search for cars that have certain safety features either standard, or obvious to a certain submodel, and choose from the list that comes up from that. Maybe our beloved strats will come out on top, maybe not.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:15 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hope this helps.
While I respect your opinion and understand what this guy needs, I say that I never said he shouldn't go with ABS and I do not need to grow up.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:42 AM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think anyone here is showing immaturity or needs to 'grow up'. We stated which cars came with ABS, then gave our opinion of the system.
I started out driving vehicles with ABS, and the few times I used it (snow) it scared the living hell out of me. Nothing is more nerve racking than hearing that wretched noise under you and not feeling the car slow down, even at low speeds.I feel much more comfortable having FULL control of the vehicle.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:10 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Vin number WILL tell you ABS or not ... When I insured the car and gave them a Vin they added an ABS discount automatically
I promptly removed the relays as well ...

Quick Reply: WTB a Stratus; ABS Option how many are out there?