Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

DIY transmission rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DIY transmission rebuild questions

I have an 03 2.4L sedan and recently the trans gave out on me. I'm looking into just removing it and rebuilding the whole thing. Anyone know that steps involved in removing it, just don't want to miss anything and trying to get an idea of what all has to come out. The service manuals only cover the manual trans. Rebuilding it should be simple enough, just putting in all new clutch packs and a new torque converter.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:01 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Removing the transmission is pretty big job, if you haven't remove one. Rebuilding the transmission is a lot more. I do have a book on the 41TE transmission that I could make copys. But you will need a few special tools to do the overhaul on the transmission. So the answer to your question is Yes, I know the steps. Let me know if you need the information.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Ah alright. I've done rebuilds before, this one seems to be one of those bandless all clutch pack trannys. I was just wondering what to expect and if there were any tricks or bumps in the road when removing it. The dealer wants like $2000 to fix it, an overhaul would cost even more, so I don't mind doing it myself if that's the case.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

So I started messing with getting the tranny out this morning and next thing you know it's ready to drop, much easier than I thought, but now there's only 1 roadblock in the way. Does anyone know how to remove the cv half shafts from the transaxel? I got the knuckle off so the wheel hub side is removed, but I can't seem to pull it out of the tranny, I removed the 4-6 (4 on pass side and 6 on drivers side) 1/2 inch bolts on those little plates that bolt onto the tranny too where the shafts connect and still nothing, any ideas?

Old 04-13-2011, 07:11 PM
TZFBird
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is that they should just pull out. Usually they have that C-clip on the output shaft of the transmission that will retain the CV shaft or the clip on the end of the CV shaft. On my Grand Prix they were very hard to pull. The method I used was either a deadblow or a prybar depending on access to the shaft. With a firm shake/rotation, give moderate strength blows or pry-and-release force on the cupped end of the shaft going into the transmission.

That's worked out fairly well for me on several occations on various vehicles depending on how they're setup. Especially if you need to reuse the shaft without destroying the boot.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

Ah yup that was deffinekty how they came out, just pryed them out with a screw driver. Got the tranny out, overall it was easy, it's just sitting on a palet now. I'm debating weather to dig into it myself or have a shop do it. Just all depends on if I need special tools and need to adjust things just right.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:12 PM
TZFBird
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the few -not Dodge though- I've done, there really isn't anything special about tools that are required. I install seals into bores with the thicker junk mail (Bed Bath & Beyond coupon cards to be specific) **I'm trying to think of a big-box retailer that may send you something in Ohio.**

10 or so wraps of electrical tape wrapped tightly will shrink the nylon or whatever seals back into place. I use thin plastic scrap as a cone of sorts to streach the seals over shafts. Other than that I made compressors out of all-thread and various metal to compress spring packs. I think I've been more sucessfull at making tools to rebuild a transmission than actually doing it.

The only special tools I've run into are the bushing drivers. Not really much of a way around doing those correctly.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: DIY transmission rebuild questions