Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Warping Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 12:54 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Warping Rotors

So I've replaced rotors ant pads on my 06 sedan 6 times over the last 2yrs. This last time I bought more expensive rotors and EBC pads. Everytime the rotors end up warped. My wife usually drives it so hard braking or fast stops aren't the issue. Any ideas as to how to solve this?

I'm thinking on going with CD/Slotted Rotors. Think that would help?

Old 06-12-2011, 01:53 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe ur rotors has too much run out. or maybe ur wife drives like a street racer without you knowing it,
Clean the Hub real good with sand paper and wire brush b4 u install the rotors to minimize run out. Or measure the Run out if you have a dial indicator. spec is less than 0.003". Google the procedure if you plan on doing it.

These Performance Pads generate so much heat, it warps rotor faster natually. Stay with OEM pad should help. I have Hawks pad, OEM rotor, I have to resurface it 3 times in 25k miles, pad life still 50%. I regret buying them.
Use Blank Rotors, that way you can resurface it for cheaper instead of replacing them. Slotted rotors will not help.
I recommend Brembo Blank for Value and and Quality

Old 06-13-2011, 05:47 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

I checked the run out the last time I changed them. It was within the factory spec.

I've ran the best rotor offered by the local parts house to no avail. They don't seem to have warped any faster with the EBC pads.

That's why I was thinking cross-drilled and slotted would maybe dissipate enough heat to solve this.

How much do brembo blanks run?

Old 06-13-2011, 11:43 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by smokesxt
I checked the run out the last time I changed them. It was within the factory spec.

I've ran the best rotor offered by the local parts house to no avail. They don't seem to have warped any faster with the EBC pads.

That's why I was thinking cross-drilled and slotted would maybe dissipate enough heat to solve this.

How much do brembo blanks run?
$42 each from Tirerack. total should be $100 depends on where u live. and they only makes front rotors for ur car.
I am sure u've heard of Brembo Brakes, it's reputation on quality are trusted by many. Part store only charge $10-$15 to cut a rotor. if ur rotors are not rusted out and can be cut, do that instead. if Pad still has meats in it, re-use it. EBC are quality pads, and expensive stuff, dont throw them away.
get the Job done for $20-$30. No point spending another $150 to overhaul ur brake.

Drilled and slotted rotor doesn't dissipate heat any faster than blank rotors, it is there for looks. You don't see NASCAR use them, do you?

Old 06-18-2011, 12:46 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

I've definately heard of brembo. Didn't know they carried stuff for the sedan never checked. I'll try that route.

Nascar don't do a lot they could. (like turn more then one direction )

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Gmaverick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 2 2004 coupes and we had the same problems with the rotors warping (we went thru 4 sets). I purchased cross-drilled and slotted rotors from a company in Chicago (found them on eBay) almost a year ago and they have been great so far. I got a great deal on the rotors and they thru in a free set of ceramic pads. The cheapest ones I could find locally were about $175 each and I paid less than that for both of the new ones along with the pads. Hope this helps!

Old 06-25-2011, 04:12 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Gmaverick
We have 2 2004 coupes and we had the same problems with the rotors warping (we went thru 4 sets). I purchased cross-drilled and slotted rotors from a company in Chicago (found them on eBay) almost a year ago and they have been great so far. I got a great deal on the rotors and they thru in a free set of ceramic pads. The cheapest ones I could find locally were about $175 each and I paid less than that for both of the new ones along with the pads. Hope this helps!
I've seen those. I'm thinking on running the EBC Slotted and blind drilled rotors. They're pricey but it'll be cheaper long run if they last, instead of changing rotors and pads every few months. They're proven to run cooler and cut down on pad glazing.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Gmaverick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck hope it works as well for you as it did for me. The stock ones warped within 30 days after install. I installed the slots in November and they are doing the job. The ones I bought on ebay even came with free shipping.

Quick Reply: Warping Rotors