Jeeps The tough off road capability of ANY Jeep model from the Wrangler to the fully loaded Grand Cherokee keeps this cousin of Dodge the king of every hill.

2006 Grand Cherokee Boston system problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 04:16 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Grand Cherokee Boston system problem

Hi all...

I usually post in the Ram Van section, but I actually now have a problem with my 06 GC.
The sound system stopped working. I thought maybe the head unit wasn't signaling the amp to turn on...so I got another head unit...no work...

Could it be the amp? Do these systems have any know issues? I am stumped...I guess it could be the amp, but what is strange is the radio and music will kick in after 10-20 minutes of driving...but sometime it never comes one...

Any ideas? thanks for the help

Old 10-28-2013, 07:51 PM
funair02
All Star

Sooooo...Being a CANBUS car I said to myself, "Could it really be a software issue?".

I took off the negative battery cable. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Put it back on and BAM - radio works perfectly.

I called Dodge after this, and found that there are two software updates for the 06 with the Boston system.

They want to charge me $55 EACH for the updates...

So I now have to pay for their incorrectly written software

Imagine if Microsoft said that to their customers...

Hmmmmmm...

Should they be charging for software updates??????

Attached Images   
Old 10-29-2013, 05:57 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try a different dealership. Unfortunately, they got the gun--they get the gold.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:53 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by funair02

Imagine if Microsoft said that to their customers...

Hmmmmmm...

Should they be charging for software updates??????
Well, if you want Microsoft to send out a Technician to update your software in your PC, I am sure they will charge you. And I am sure Microsoft will not pay him either.

The point is, you are paying for the time your dealer spent updating your software, you are not paying Chrysler for the software itself.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:02 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I am an evil dealership technician and love your money, BUT $55 each is a rip.

Last edited by TNtech; 10-29-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:58 AM
funair02
All Star

guys, I don't mean to cause trouble, but if my car came with bad software, Chrysler should be on the hook for fixing it.

BTW.....Microsoft doesn't send techs out to fix your PC because they spent tens of millions of dollars incorporating Windows Update with Windows XP and later...

So on their balance sheet, yes they did pay for a technician to come out to my PC and update the bad code that they produced...

So how much should these updates, that Chrysler IMO should be paying the tech to fix, cost me...

thanks all..

Old 10-30-2013, 10:33 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by funair02
So how much should these updates, that Chrysler IMO should be paying the tech to fix, cost me...

thanks all..
Yeah, that whole software update thing is a grey area. If someone JUST came in for ONE flash on a radio, we probably wouldn't charge anything if they were a regular. $55 should get you all the available ones IMO. Some modules require some calibration and such after the fact, so those would be a little extra...but not the radio.

When I get a car that comes in for some sort of expensive repair or services, I usually just do them all while I have it hooked up for nothing.

Last edited by TNtech; 10-30-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: 2006 Grand Cherokee Boston system problem