2008 Saturn Astra!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 07:52 PM
ViperGTS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Saturn Astra!

Exclusive: 2008 Saturn Astra Live And Unveiled!

And with the introduction of the 2008 Astra, the Opelization of the Saturn line-up is now complete. In fact, the lineup for the customer-conscience brand from the General is actually so all-new, it now claims the Sky roadster as their "oldest product." But this bit of autobahn-tuned 3-door and 5-door hot-hatchness is, according to Jill Lajdziak, Saturn's general manager, expected to hit showrooms during the 4th quarter of this year. Gallery of both the 3-door and the 5-door below, along with the press release -- which you can feel free to discuss amongst yourself...now. – Ray Wert

ALL-NEW 2008 SATURN ASTRA BRINGS AWARD-WINNING EUROPEAN SMALL CAR TO NORTH AMERICA
CHICAGO - Saturn announced the addition of the all-new 2008 Astra to its lineup, bringing a decidedly European flavor to the North American compact car market. It is packed with a wide range of standard equipment and safety features, and delivers sporty performance with very good fuel economy.
The Saturn Astra will be offered in three-door and five-door models, each underpinned by a taught, European-bred suspension that delivers a sharp, responsive driving experience. Power comes from a 1.8L Ecotec four-cylinder engine that is both energetic and economical, delivering 140 horsepower (104 kW) and good fuel economy.

Additional interior highlights include:
* Illuminated glove box with damped door actuation
* A large, two-panel sunroof: the largest in its class (available on five-door only)
* Available heated seats in cloth or leather surfaces
* Auxiliary 12-volt power outlet
* Easy-to-remove rear cargo cover
* Power door locks (with central locking feature) and power windows with express down feature
* Standard six-speaker AM/FM/CD radio and available seven-speaker sound system; multi-disc and MP3-capable radios available
* Steering-wheel mounted audio controls (on XR models)
Astra's bold proportions, including a long, 103-inch (2,614 mm) wheelbase and 80-inch (2,033 mm) width, provide exceptional roominess and generous storage capacity. The 60/40-split folding rear seat also folds flat with the touch of a single, high-mounted lever. When the rear seat is folded, the five-door Astra offers 44.8 cubic feet (1,270 L) of storage space.
Occupant protection features
The 2008 Saturn Astra features a comprehensive list of safety systems to help protect occupants in the event of a crash. Highlights include:
* Rigid body structure with safety cage
* Six standard air bags, including dual-stage frontal air bags; roof rail head curtain air bags and thorax/pelvic air bags (front-seat passengers)
* Active head restraints
* Collapsible pedals
* Front safety belt pretensioners and load limiters
* OnStar with one year of Safe & Sound service
Body structure: The unitized body structure is designed with a safety cage around the passenger compartment, and features optimized front and rear crush zones that absorb energy and help maintain the structural integrity of the passenger compartment. High-strength steel is used strategically throughout the body structure.
Air bags: All Astra models feature dual-stage frontal air bags, seat-mounted thorax/pelvic air bags to help protect front occupants and head curtain air bags for front- and rear-seat occupants. Also standard is an automatic passenger sensing system for the front passenger seat; it suppresses the activation of the passenger-side frontal air bag if it detects a child or smaller-stature person in that seating position.
Active head restraints and collapsible pedals: Standard active head restraints instantly move forward if a rear-end crash is detected, reducing the risk of neck injuries. Similarly, the collapsible foot pedals move during a crash to reduce the risk of leg or ankle injuries.
Safety belt pretensioners and load limiters: When a crash is detected, the safety belt pretensioners immediately reduce the slack in the front safety belts, helping limit the movement of passengers. The load limiters permit a small amount of movement in the front safety belts, thereby reducing peak chest loads in a more severe crash.
OnStar: Astra comes with the latest-generation OnStar system, including available Turn-by-Turn Navigation. The system also includes advanced automatic crash notification (AACN). With AACN, an OnStar advisor is immediately contacted by the vehicle when a crash occurs; the advisor can determine the appropriate emergency help required and assist in sending it to the scene of the crash. Astra buyers will receive one year of Safe & Sound Service provided by Saturn.

Source; jalopnik

Old 02-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Dakota_24
Default RE: 2008 Saturn Astra!

I kinda like it, but its in no way compares to the Caliber!

Old 02-07-2007, 11:59 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very good fuel economy better not mean 34-37 mpg. They need to have around 40 to be competitive. I hope they make a 4-door version for those who don't want a hatchback.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:38 AM
Dakota_24

I think they are all hatchback, or else they would've had a sedan model with itin the showing. What is wrong with hatchback's? I see nothing wrong with it. All SUV's and mini-vans have are hatchbacks; whats the difference? If you don't want a hatchback; buy a different car; prefferably a sedan.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:49 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

My problem with hackbacks is they don't get as good fuel mileage and they remind me of stationwagons. There are few SUVs I like (the Grand Cherokee being one of the few). Hackbacks seems as though they get worse fuel mileage on average. I'm saying for a product offering standpoint, many people like myself will never consider a hackback because of this.

Why not offer a sedan model? I never said they couldn't offer a hackback model, I just suggested they offer a sedan model for those who want a sedan instead. Why are you wanting to limit it to just a hackback?

Old 02-08-2007, 03:30 AM
Dakota_24

ORIGINAL: 97 3.5 Intrepid

My problem with hackbacks is they don't get as good fuel mileage and they remind me of stationwagons. There are few SUVs I like (the Grand Cherokee being one of the few). Hackbacks seems as though they get worse fuel mileage on average. I'm saying for a product offering standpoint, many people like myself will never consider a hackback because of this.

Why not offer a sedan model? I never said they couldn't offer a hackback model, I just suggested they offer a sedan model for those who want a sedan instead. Why are you wanting to limit it to just a hackback?
EXTRA COST!!!! Plus this is their design; let it be! So to you everytime some company makes a hatchback; they have to make a sedan? WHATEVER!!!Like I said if you dont like it; you dont have to buy it. Some people like hatchbacks. Hmm; the Magnum's a hatchback, and its the coolest looking wagon I've seen and had. Chevy did that with the Citation back in the early '80's; they had a hatchback and a sedan version...What sold the most?...The HATCHBACK!!!! Granted the Citation didnt last long, but you get my point!

Old 02-08-2007, 05:19 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

First of all, ease up on the caffiene, no one is dying here. You don't need to get so upset.

Now,the Magnumhasn't been selling very well. The Charger has been selling better than the Magnum. The fact is that there isan audience they will alienate if they donot make a sedan. Saturn needs to make models thatwill appeal to all audiences.If price is an issue, thecan sell the sedan for a higher price to make up the difference.

Think about this for a minuet. Should Chrysler drop the convertible because of the fact that it might increase the cost? No, if they do they will lose an important market segment.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:35 AM
hemi 265
Professional

We have them Here in Australia sold as a Holden Astra, not rated very well. I dont mind them but i would never buy one though.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:30 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

A restyled, larger and more upmarket version of the Holden Astra, one of Australia's most popular nameplates, arrives here from a successful European debut.
Starting @ $21,990, Holden expects to attract new buyers at the premium end of the small car segment with the popular 4-cylinder hatch offering drivers a large car feel on the road.
News suggests otherwise

The interior, however, is a complete success

Quick Reply: 2008 Saturn Astra!