4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

dual to quad lamps, better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:51 AM
renos09
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual to quad lamps, better?

For those of you who swapped out the duals and converted to quad lights, do you see a huge difference in lighting? or is it not worth the swap? Thanks

Old 02-02-2011, 01:11 AM
reeseonfire
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personaly I like the look of my Duals, over the quads.
But I'm sure theres a pretty good difference between the two as far as lighting goes.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:19 AM
matt3
Professional

I was wondering the same thing.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:52 AM
merv
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The quads have 4 headlights; one set for low and one set for high. Thelow beams re,ain on when you use the hight beams.

The dual headlights have two high/low bulbs.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:50 AM
renos09
Veteran

I like the look of the dual headlights also, but the visibility of the head lamps is awful. I know the quad lamps have two seperate bulbs but less surface area being lite since it uses the same size head light but cut in half, half for low and the other half for highs. I already upgraded to the Philips extreme bulb but it's just not enough out put. My wife's land rover puts out an enormus amount of light without blinding oncoming traffic. I know that alot of car and truck magazines that review cars and trucks are starting to add lighting visibilty to there reviews, so there must be alot of complaints from different manufactures not just Dodge in order for them to add a section just on lighting. I am just trying to find out if it's worth swapping them over, if it's a huge difference then I would change them. I also spoke to lighting professionals and they said that the design of the H-13 bulb is bad to begin with coupled with a poorly designed headlamp.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:25 PM
5.7x28mm
Professional

I can't say as to my own experience - I have the duals also. But I have read comments by other members on this forum, who know more than I do - they say that the light output between the two isn't much different.

Maybe one of them will chime in.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:26 PM
sking
Veteran

To answer your question, NO it makes no difference. I changed my 2010 over to the quad lights and it was a waste of money. I just bought a bumper with the fog light holes and am now waiting for my dash switch to come in so I can install everything. The fog/driving lights by themselves work better then the worthless headlights.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Stumeat
Amateur

I have an '11 with the quads and they are TERRIBLY dim? My Stock fogs (driving) lights are brighter!

Old 02-02-2011, 04:15 PM
merv
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My last truck, GMC 2500, didn't have 12v going to the headlights; somewhere around 10.5-11 volts. I bought a wiring harness with a relay so the healights pulled power straight off the battery. There was a HUGE difference in the light output.

Has anyone measured the voltage coming off the Dodge wiring harness? MY SRT8 Charger had horribly dim lights; my ram truck is much better than the charger, but I still wonder if they aren't getting the full voltage they should.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:32 PM
464jet
Rookie

I have an 09 hemi ram QC that came with duals and I converted to quads. On trucks that came with quads the low beams stay on when you hit the high beam. When you convert from duals to quads the lows go off when you hit the highs. My dealership was unable to get both to stay on, and were told by chrysler that "vehicle is not configured for quad headlights."A tech on another forum told me that the chrysler software that pertained to the quad headlights would need to be extracted from a vin# of a factory equipped quad headlight truck and programmed to my vin. Only the headlight info would be replaced.
So I have two different sets of headlights and they both suck. The quads do plug right in but the lights are no better, I do like the way they look over the duals though.I think I'll wait for the aftermarket to catch up and see what becomes available.If any of you guys get your converted lights to work right please let me know how.

Quick Reply: dual to quad lamps, better?