1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1991 Dakota wants to stall coming out of a stop

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 05:11 PM
CrasyIvan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Dakota wants to stall coming out of a stop

91 Dakota with 250,340 miles. Runs good but I've been chasing this issue that it want's to stall coming out of a stop. Pushing the gas pedal very little but steady it just starts to miss but wont die, if I give it a bit more gas it goes away and it works fine. When I first start it in the morning it's worst when it warms up it gets better but still there. Already changed spark plugs(old ones looked good) put in Bosch double platinum also new TPS, MAP sensor, Coolant temperature sensor and no leaks in vacuum hoses or codes! I'm lost any suggestions??? The idle speed control motor is working fine although I have move the adjustment bolt in and out and I have no Tachometer in the truck so idle speed is a guess. Previous codes it had were coolant temp sensor (replaced) and idle speed control(fixed).

Old 01-19-2017, 06:34 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

get them garbage spark plugs outta there!

Old 01-22-2017, 10:01 AM
CrasyIvan

it was doing the same thing with the factory Autolite plugs and they were very clean just worn. Why is Bosch so bad?

Old 01-22-2017, 02:18 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

If you want to keep this rig for a while it would serve you well to read the FAQ page. Some ideas of what I would do in your situation. The dealer told me the Dakotas were designed for Champion plugs. I have the 94. Bosch has a good name because of German built tools but they build a lot of stuff in China and other places now and their auto products are not as good. Does it have a TV cable? Adjusting it would affect idle. You may have an intake plenum issue. I would go through all of the electrical connections to injectors, sensors and the PCM. Clean them with electrical cleaner and then grease them with dielectric grease. Don't over do it use an acid brush. You might use a wire brush to take off the oxidation on the ones you can get to easily. You might pull the injectors and see if the O ring is good. Oh yea throttle position sensor might be going off. That is the first thing I was told to do when I bought mine and had similar issues. I ended up doing a lot of stuff and learning a lot. The other two things could be the switch plate/cam sensor(circular disc like a circuit board under the rotor in the dizzy. It has the wire coming off it.) and the crank sensor.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 01-22-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:37 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Minor correction to onemore94dak - he has a Magnum; the 1991 is a LA.

So no crank sensor, and the "cam sensor" is a "distributor pickup" in the 1991 (might even be the same part, but it does a slightly different function.)

Also, the 1991 is throttle body injected; quicker and easier to whack on the connections due to being only two injectors on it.

It won't have the inlet plenum problem; that came with the Magnums for 1992.

RwP

Old 01-24-2017, 03:25 PM
CrasyIvan

Correct! I think I found the problem... It's has a rattle, sounds like piston rattle at idle I messed a little with the distributor back and forth but it's always present I think it's a worn timing chain. For the price of the new one with the tensioners I think I'm going that route.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:40 PM
CrasyIvan

Funny clip!! I forgot to ask what is the TV cable.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:55 PM
RalphP
Champion

Throttle Value; it's known to old timers as the "kick-down" cable. It allows the transmission to have an idea of how much throttle you're giving the throttle body.

RwP

Old 01-28-2017, 01:12 AM
CrasyIvan

What should the fuel pressure be on this truck?. 91 Dakota 3.9 with only two injectors. I ordered the timing chain with the tensioner, but while it get's here I want to check the fuel pressure.

Last edited by CrasyIvan; 01-28-2017 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:33 AM
RalphP
Champion

14.5PSI for the throttle body injected LA motors.

RwP

Quick Reply: 1991 Dakota wants to stall coming out of a stop