4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2014 ram 1500 no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 09:29 PM
tlandrum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 ram 1500 no start

today i installed lighted visors in my truck. i pulled power from the harness and now my truck will not start. dome light works ,headlight works door locks work with buttons but the fob does nothing. i have tried both my fobs and still nothing. the horn will not even blow. somebody help please thanks in advance

Old 02-14-2017, 12:59 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Pull every fuse and look at them.

What do you mean by "pulled power from the harness" ?

Last edited by TNtech; 02-14-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:54 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

undo what you did to install visors...

Old 02-16-2017, 04:56 PM
tlandrum

what i mean by pulling power is that i tapped into a constant hot wire coming from the harness. i have undone what i did and no help. it have been at the stealership since tuesday morning and they still havent identified the source of the problem. according to them they have contacted chrysler for help.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:56 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

How did you pick the "hot wire"? I assume you didn't tell the dealer about your experiment so now they have to try and figure out what you damaged.

If you know the wire and let the dealer know, they can trace it and find the problem easily. But, they will probably deny warranty.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:45 PM
tlandrum

well you assumed wrong. i told them exactly what i did,exactly what wire i tapped into and they still have no clue whats wrong with it. trucks not under warranty nor did i expect one. i hoped that since they see things like this regularly that they would know a bit more about it. service advisor told me trucks come in all the time with electronic problems because of accessory installations and they can definitely fix it. when i spoke to them today i was told they were stumped.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:21 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

My bad, since they know the wire and have the wiring diagrams, they ought to be able to trace it to it's source. If what you did damaged something then it should be fairly easy to figure it out. Maybe it's just a coincidence and something else is bad.

There very few "hot" wires in these trucks so if you tapped into one of them such as the cig lighter or the blower motor, then that should not damage anything with the starter circuit.

So it will not start but cranks? or just nothing, no crank?

I no longer have access to the wiring schematics so I can't dig deeper. The starter mechanism itself is fairly straight forward but the CAN bus can be a night mare.

good luck

Old 02-16-2017, 08:30 PM
tlandrum

i took a test light and found a constant hot coming out of the wiring harness under the dash. i cant figure out why its taking them so long either. there are only so many places to test to see if power is there or not. if i had the schematics and test equipment hey should have i think i can figure it out faster than they have. according to the tech he doesnt think it was what i did but no one will ever know. seems to me that he tipm is not doing its thing. the truck will not try to turn over,key fob doesnt work. headlights and tail lights work,dash lights do not. the dash lights were flipping on and off on and off and then stopped all together. radio doesnt work. seems like the power is not being sent from the tipm to the components of the truck. ive mentioned the tipm every time ive spoke to them and they say its the last resort

Old 02-16-2017, 08:51 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

Was the wire you tapped hot with the key not in the ignition?

Finding a hot wire and tapping into it is a "no no" with new vehicles. Many of the hot wires are driven by current limited circuits and any additional load can damage drivers and/or boards. Too much current can burn out a circuit board trace in an instant.

That is why I mentioned the cig lighter and blower motor as sources for +12VDC as the have their own, isolated, fuse protected high current capabilities.

I am a electrical engineer (retired) and spent a good amount of my earlier years designing interfaces and can attest to how easy is is to damage something.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:02 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you can identify the circuit you tapped into, I could maybe figure it out from here. Otherwise, you're at their mercy it would appear.

A LIVE issue...I mean...pshht, you should have been out of there in a day or so.

Pedro is correct. A lot of those "hot wires" are not fuse protected, but are driver protected on a circuit board. If by chance you overloaded a driver, a capacitive discharge (tying battery terminals together for 30 minutes) could reset that driver.

Last edited by TNtech; 02-16-2017 at 09:10 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 ram 1500 no start