2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1500 Towing w/factory bumper hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 01:46 AM
ExiledTiger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1500 Towing w/factory bumper hitch?

Bought my 98 Ram 1500 SLT used. It has a 2"ball on the bumper. The bumper looks sturdier than the conventional car bumpers,appears to be a steel tubebolted to the frame just like the aftermarket people do,so I'm thinking this thing might be capable of actually towing something (like a car) without adding an aftermarket gizmo. How do I find out what the capacity if and is this truck is equipped with a towing package other than a pretty ball (do Rams even come with a decorative hitch rather than a working one?)

Old 01-30-2007, 02:30 AM
nateblong
Professional
Default RE: 1500 Towing w/factory bumper hitch?

I most definatly would not trust a ball mounted in the bumper, Id even be worried with that set up pulling a jet ski. If your towing a car on a dolly you would be smart to get a factory or aftermarket hitch, (with a reciever). I am sure you could rob one off an wrecked dodge at the junkyard, Dont forget the wirering harness. GL

Old 01-30-2007, 03:04 AM
dishdude2k
Captain

The bumper looks sturdier than the conventional car bumpers,appears to be a steel tubebolted to the frame just like the aftermarket people do, -------- if the 'steel tube' is attached to the bumber.. wouldnt that be the hitch? UNDER the bumper? has the removable sleep where the ball attaches too? mine has it and i have the 99 ram 1500 .. and i tow all day long with it.. have a tow dolly and tow lots of cars.. even trucks..

Old 01-30-2007, 11:47 AM
TurboABA
Professional

I believe that you are talking about this:

If so, I've pulled my buddies Expedition out of mud before using it, but I didn't actually tow anything with it.
I think I'd get a proper hitch to do real towing.

[IMG]local://upfiles/54080/AB39796E0ABE48A18BAE56FDFF99098E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-30-2007, 03:36 PM
ShakyJay
Rookie

ORIGINAL: ExiledTiger

Bought my 98 Ram 1500 SLT used. It has a 2"ball on the bumper. The bumper looks sturdier than the conventional car bumpers,appears to be a steel tubebolted to the frame just like the aftermarket people do,so I'm thinking this thing might be capable of actually towing something (like a car) without adding an aftermarket gizmo. How do I find out what the capacity if and is this truck is equipped with a towing package other than a pretty ball (do Rams even come with a decorative hitch rather than a working one?)
If the truck had a factory tow package you would have a receiver hitch under the bumper.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ShakyJay

If the truck had a factory tow package you would have a receiver hitch under the bumper.
Which tells you that if they thought it was strong enough to tow from, the factory tow package would not come with a receiver hitch mounted to the frame. I wouldn't to anything from the bumper myself.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:12 PM
nolazach
Veteran

Yeah I towed using my 1&3/4" and 2" *****.

For light trailers they work fine, jetski's work trailer.

But I did overload it and bent my bumper, so there is a limit..... and it is stamped on the bumper.

If you gonna really pull weight, get a hitch put on.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:12 PM
pollocksn
Professional

Well all I can say is that if you are talking about the factory bumper, with my first dodge I towed my brothers car (a small suv) on a double axle trailer from texas to oklahoma with it. Had no problems. It probably was not the smartest thing but hey i was 18 and didnt know any better. A guy I know uses it to tow his boat all the time with no problems. If it was me I would put a hitch on just to be safe. In fact my new dodge came with one so no more bumper tows.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:23 PM
ShakyJay
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

ORIGINAL: ShakyJay

Which tells you that if they thought it was strong enough to tow from, the factory tow package would not come with a receiver hitch mounted to the frame. I wouldn't to anything from the bumper myself.
According to the Owner's Manual on my 1999 1500 "With a Class III Hitch, your vehicle can be equipped to tow trailers with a Gross Trailer Weight (GTW) of 5,000 lbs. (2 268 kg) maximum. Factory-installed rear step bumpers are rated a Class III hitch." The trailer tow group added a Class IV frame mounted receiver hitch that will allow higher towing ability depending on the truck and it's equipment. Long story short you can tow with the bumper but there are more variables that you need to consider such as tongue weight. According to the manual "Trailer sway control and equalizing hitch are required for class II or III trailer hitches and tongue weights above 350 lbs. (159 kg)." I do not know of any sway control and equalizing systems that connect to the bumper. Since your tongue weight should be between 10 and 15% of GTW that would put you into the 3500 lb. GTW. Then there are the other considerations such as transmission coolong and trailer wiring. The tow package also included pre wiring with a relay to isolate your trailer wiring from the factory headlight switchto prevent switch failure in case the trailer is equipped with more than standard lighting.

Bottom line is that yes you can tow using the bumper however you will need to make sure your wiring is correct and your weights are within the limits. I would not recommend heavy duty towing but small boats and trailers are not out of the question.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:04 PM
adingman99

I used to have a Blazer with the same type of factory bumper hitch. Towed many boats and dual axle trailers with it for years with no problems.

Quick Reply: 1500 Towing w/factory bumper hitch?