1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

engine codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:18 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: engine codes

TPS code could be high low or out of range ... Did you CHECK it ???

Old 04-18-2007, 01:49 AM
blackvenge34
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly im not quite sure how to check it and not i didnt i cant untill i go home on friday

Old 04-21-2007, 03:24 AM
blackvenge34
Veteran

ok i got a voltimeter from my bro but i dont know what settings to put it on n all im trying to find the booklet to c what setting and can i have a little info on exactly what to do to check the voltage and if its to high or to low what do i do thanx

Old 04-21-2007, 04:26 PM
blackvenge34
Veteran

ok i checked the voltage its a five and it still bounces and goes to 1500 rmp what else does that mean i need a new one? thanx

Old 04-21-2007, 04:49 PM
blackvenge34
Veteran

ok my cel when on again and its reading 24 code again but i checked the voltage again and its still 5 volts im not really sure what else thanx sorry for the multiple posts in a row

Old 04-21-2007, 06:42 PM
rthegremlin2

TESTING
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
In order to perform a complete test of the TPS and related circuits, you must use a DRBĀ® or equivalent scan tool, and follow the manufacturer's directions. To check the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) only, proceed with the following tests.
Visually check the connector, making sure it is attached properly and that all of the terminals are straight, tight and free of corrosion.
[*]
The TPS can be tested using a digital ohmmeter. The center terminal of the sensor supplies the output voltage. [*]
Connect the DVOM between the center terminal and sensor ground. [/ol]

Fig. 1: Throttle position sensor connector terminal identification

[*]
With the ignition key to the ON position and the engine OFF check the output voltage at the center terminal wire of the connector. [*]
Check the output voltage at idle and at Wide Open Throttle (WOT):
[*]
For 1995 vehicles at idle, the TPS output voltage should be about 0.5 volts. At WOT, the output voltage should be about 3.7 volts. The output voltage should gradually increase as the throttle plate moves slowly from idle to WOT. [*]
For 1996-98 vehicles at idle, the TPS output voltage should be about 0.38-1.20 volts. At WOT, the output voltage should be greater than 0.6 volts. At WOT, the output voltage should be less than 4.5 volts. The output voltage should gradually increase as the throttle plate moves slowly from idle to WOT. [/ul][/ol]

Fig. 2: Checking resistance of the TPS, which reads 4.51K ohms with the throttle lever closed

Fig. 3: While checking resistance of the TPS, readings should change smoothly in proportion to the opening angle of the throttle lever

[*]
Check the resistance of the TPS as follows:
[*]
Unplug the TPS connector. [*]
Using an ohmmeter, or a DVOM set to the ohms scale, measure the resistance between terminals 1 and 3 of the connector on the TPS side. [*]
Resistance should measure 3.5-6.5K ohms. [*]
Measure the resistance between terminals 2 and 3 of the connector on the TPS side. [*]
Measure the resistance with the throttle closed, with the throttle about halfway open and at wide open throttle. [*]
The resistance should increase smoothly as the throttle plate is opened. [*]
If resistance measures outside these values, replace the TPS. [/ol][*]
Before replacing the TPS, check for spread terminals and also inspect the PCM connections. [/ol]

Quick Reply: engine codes