1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

engine codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 09:25 PM
blackvenge34
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine codes

ok i was driving home from school today and my check engine light came on i did the key test and this is what came up 12 an 24 if you could help thanx

Old 04-05-2007, 11:25 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: engine codes

http://asog.net/content/view/23/25/

Here are the codes ...
12 is the battery was disconnected within the last 50 key cycles

24 is the TPS voltage

Old 04-05-2007, 11:56 PM
blackvenge34
Veteran

do you know how to check the tps voltage

Old 04-06-2007, 12:16 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Voltmeter to the pin MUST be under 5 volts ....

tps mod

http://aseclub.net/index1.php?pg=how...owto&id=21

Old 04-16-2007, 03:32 AM
blackvenge34
Veteran

ok now i went back to college and the cel light went on again after i got back i did the key dance and same codes came up 12 and 24 but it did the 24 code 3 times in a row then the 55 which means it stopped y did it do it 3 times?

Old 04-16-2007, 01:32 PM
rthegremlin2

Hey bad venge, can you copy/paste the tps mod here. I still cant get on ASEC and I registered about a week and a half ago. What does the TPS mod do?

Old 04-16-2007, 06:31 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is located on your throttle body. The throttle body is in between your air intake and your intake manifold. For the I4 models, the TPS will be on the back side of your throttle body, and if you have the V6 it'll be on the front side. This mod will improve your car's response time and improve launch, but it will not add any horsepower or torque.

*Please read all of the instructions before starting so that you know you are capable of doing everything. Continue at your own risk*

Items Needed:
- digital voltmeter
- needle nose pliers
- t-20 torx socket or screwdriver
- a vice to hold the tps while drilling
- 1/4" drill bit
- drill

Steps
1) Turn the ignition ON, but DO NOT start the car.
2) There are three wires leading into the TPS, put the positive lead from the voltmeter to the middle wire.
3) Put the ground lead from the voltmeter to a good solid ground.
4) Check what voltage the voltmeter reads, if it is not reading anything or is fluctuating you may need to play with the contacts of the leads a little by moving them around. You should get a reading anywhere from .35-1.03 volts while idling. After you get a good reading, move on to the next step.
5) Keep the leads from the voltmeter where they are and position the voltmeter itself in a position where you can see it from the drivers seat.
6) After step 5 keep your eye on the voltmeter and slowly ease on the gas pedal (if you have a stick shift put in first gear and ease on the gas), the voltage should go up and end up anywhere from 3.1-4.0 volts, but it will not exceed 4.5 volts.
7) Record your voltage readings, and then proceed to next step.
8) There is an electrical connector that is connected to the TPS. Unclip this connector (it should have three wires going into it).
9) Using the t-20 torx socket or screwdriver remove the two screws that are holding the TPS to the throttle body.
10) Remove the TPS.
11) Put the TPS in the vise so that you have easy access to the holes where the screws were.
12) Hold the metal mounting cylinder with the needle nose pliers to prevent it from spinning.
13) Carefully drill out both of the mounting holes with the 1/4" drill.
14) Put the TPS back on the throttle body and reconnect the electrical connector.
15) As stated in the directions above, take voltage readings at both closed throttle and wide open throttle your voltage for closed throttle should now be between .75 and .85, and for wide open throttle it should be between 3.5 and 4.1. If your voltage meets these ranges, then congratulations...you're done!

*If you're voltage readings are too high*
All you have to do to fix this is loosen the two mounting screws very slightly, and at the same time keep your eyes on the voltmeter. Keep loosening the two screws slightly, then jiggle the TPS gently until your voltage comes back down. Once your voltage is in the correct range, you are all done!

Old 04-17-2007, 01:20 AM
blackvenge34
Veteran

anyone know y it did that 24 code 3 times in a row?

Old 04-17-2007, 01:37 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Dunno unless you never cleared the last times ...

Old 04-17-2007, 09:30 PM
blackvenge34
Veteran

ok i never did could the tps control when my car starts up it takes longer then it does like i guess studders i dont know how else to explain it

Quick Reply: engine codes