1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

96 Dodge Avenger not working out

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 01:58 AM
carrie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Dodge Avenger not working out

Dear Avenger Lovers,

Please help; I have the opposite of love for my 96 Avenger 6 cylinder 2 door coop. It has been in the shop over a month because the car keeps dying randomly, and the guys, including the dealers cannot figure out what is wrong (over $700 later). They assume it is the fuel pump after many tests but that did not work, even the dealers proper part would not work. The distributor and harness belt were also replaced and that did not solve the problem. Diagnostically everything appears fine, but the car still dies. Someone please help, I do not want to get rid of her, but she is driving me crazy. Dodge will not respond to my desperate pleas for help (same happened with my Colt). I do not want to choose foreign so all of you Dodge lovers are my last hope.

Signed,
Desperate Woman.

Old 09-11-2004, 05:54 PM
GhostRider3387
Rookie
Default RE: 96 Dodge Avenger not working out

Have you had the fuel injector wiring harness checked for shorts,my daughters car would do the samething,just die while driving down the road,I had a lot of things replaced before we found the problem. Good Luck with yours

Old 10-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Burnt 1

I am currently working on my friends car, its doing the same thing, but dies no matter what your doing, you start the car, it will run, then just dies like you turned it off, no spittin or spuddering, Just dies, it will start right back up, sometimes it will run for 5 min, 20 min,, or 1 min, then same thing... BUT when the car shuts off, one of the relays on the drivers side, right up on the firewall, ( 4 of them) you can here it clicking, What are they for.. o yeah its a 95 avender..

thanks

Old 11-10-2005, 10:25 PM
Aptyp

hey, it's your crank sensor, i had that problem. Also did nearly everything, and dealership is a terrible place to go due to their mechanic rotation.

Old 11-14-2005, 04:25 AM
JesLaur

Same problem I'm having with my /98. Some times no start, other times just quits. Changed fuel line filter and did a carb. kit. Still no luck. Was your problem the crank sensor as one reply suggets?

Old 12-05-2005, 01:30 PM
shhiknow

Wow that sucks to here. Hope they figure it out for ya.

Old 12-18-2005, 06:27 AM
Amanda20

Maybe water in the fuel tank? BF has a 98 and he had the car parked outside for 4 months during the winter, parked it inside to thaw and it would quit after starting. He put heet in the tank and worked fine.

Old 01-16-2006, 03:55 PM
coolnesshw

Check the IAC (Idle Air Control Valve) - Will be referred to as a idle motor and also check the TPS (throttle Positioning sensor). My IAC failed, the car ran, but if there was a load on the engine (defroster fan) it would almost stall.

Also, STP has a $6 cleaner for the "combustion camber" or "top-end." Was the throttle body cleaned?

May also be the MAP sensor. Basically, (Manifold Air pressure).

Quick Reply: 96 Dodge Avenger not working out