1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Gonna have to do it ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 11:06 AM
sumncguy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gonna have to do it ...

A kid blew a red light and totaled the old mini van ..... long story short my new clunker is a 96 Sebring Conv .. I have to replaced all fuel and brake lines, might as well do them both while Im in there ... as you can see .. not looking pretty under thar ... the dealer wants to charge me by the hour, $86 an hour. "Yeah, right .. pass the crack pipe !!"
Anyway .. I could use tips from the folks who have done it before ... not much to go on in the Chyrsler forum.

I know that I will need a double flaring tool, bending tool, Steel tubing, pressure fittings, plenty o WD40 / PB Blast ... patience patience patience ... I will be doing this on my back on the driveway using hydrualic jacks and jack stands or maybe drive on ramps if they buy me some room. I did pick one tip that is - use a roll of solder to create a template for the new pipe. Pretty smart ..

The biggest problem I have is not knowing how stuff is routed in the engine compartment .. where Ill start and how to remove fuel pressure. I read my Chiltons but dont get it ...

Any input would be helpfull.

Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/13441/8527FFD71E2147B9A26DCEC2E7F8955F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13441/98F6F3CF3C6D44B89D97F7B6351FCB5B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13441/77AAD5EFF458489D85354D2BDE4DE799.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-27-2007, 11:18 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: Gonna have to do it ...

Wow, those lines are pretty rusted, lol.
I can't give you any advise on them though. If I had to redo mine, the fuel line would be done with steel braided lines. The brake lines I would buy OEM....just to keep from having to bend and fit them myself. Those lines can kink pretty easily.
Anyway, sorry I can't help you with this. It doesn't even matter that it's a Chrysler Sebring convertable, different platform than the Avenger/Sebring coupes + different motor.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:17 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Price the prebent pieces from the parts store my buddies chevy brake lines rusted thru ... by the time we priced the raw lines and fittings versus the prebent was $3.00 difference .... My time is worth more then that ...

Old 05-27-2007, 12:18 PM
sumncguy
Veteran

Get this man, the stealer says that they have to custom bend them also. But I have a neighbor down the block who is the part manager at the local Dodge dealer. He will tell me the scoop and let me know if any of this is available prebent. But Im sure, they wont have all runs. Ill look into the braide line. Like I said, this is my clunker .. Dont want to drive the Ram to and from work every day .. will kill me in gas and I just dont ride my Harley in the rain, dangerous enough when it dry .. so I dont want to spend all that much on this thing ...prolly just go wiff the steel OEM type.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:23 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the chevy ones from advanced auto parts store ... he had all the runs we needed took three days to get them

Old 05-27-2007, 01:05 PM
rthegremlin2

Actually if you get some good quality lines it is VERY easy to get good bends without kinks. What ever you do dont get the stuff from autozone or advance auto parts/kragen/schucks(sp?). It may look like the better stuff but it is much stiffer and very prone to kinks even with a good bender. Go to NAPA or another big reputable parts store and get the green tinted poly armor lines. They are very durable and you should be able to do 95% of your bends by hand with out any kinks. Also just an FYI: DO NOT USE compression fittings for brake lines, they tend to slip under the presssure of a braking system and could cause a leak or total failure of the line. They are ok for fuel lines but you should always try to use double flaring regardless of the application. Anyway, with the good lines I have done spirals around my fingers with the green poly armor lines and never kinked them(like GM full size trucks have at the master cylinder).

Old 05-28-2007, 01:04 AM
sumncguy
Veteran

Thanks for the advice venge and grem .. I really cant find a step by step .. well thats not really true. I can find a step by step while the car isnt together .. Inline has a how to but the example is a complete restore of a goat. They are doing fuel and brakes but there is nothing there but the frame. Hell, I could prolly knock that out in an hour.

Anyway, I figured I flare the end of the tube, add a small rubber grommet, then the nut ... the do the other end. My thinking was that the grommet would seal the connection.

Good idea or no ?

Old 05-30-2007, 01:55 AM
sumncguy
Veteran

Ok the parts update ... Ill give you the bad news first then cheer ya up with the good[8D]

My neighbor is the parts manager at one of the local Dodge dealers. I asked if he could look up and order any/all prebent fuel and brake lines. Heres what he found. Prebent brake lines dont exist for that model unless custom made. I asked if he thougth Napa, Auto Zone, Advanced Auto or Pep Boys might have them available prebent. He said that he didnt think so. Ill check anyway but it looks like a 25' roll and a double flare tool is in my future. That the bad news ... the good news is ..

He was able to order the prebent supply tubes from the tank to the engine, however the return was discontinued. He told me that the guys in the shop would use fuel line - rubber hoses for the return. So thats what Im going to do.

Wish me luck ... Im scrubbed up, sterile and going in tomorrow ... starting by hitting dem thar connectin' points ... [&:]

Quick Reply: Gonna have to do it ...