1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Distributor Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Siradon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor Problem?

I have a 1999 dodge avenger es coupe(its the v6 engine) 111k miles. I have had it for 5 years and its starting to have problems in wet weather. Whenever it rains hard or is really damp my car has issues starting. I hold the key over (as i'm trying to start it) and i can hear it wanting to start (sparking). It just will not turn on unless i'm holding it over for 30 seconds to 1.1/2 minutes.sometimes it will not and i have to keep trying. Also my car will stall if it is raining hard outside while i'm driving. Like water coming under the hood and hitting it somewhere will stall it. Than i have to turn it off and hold the key over for like 2 minutes for it to start again. When it does start the rpm's are all weird. In any case when i had an oil change, battery clean and a few other things done to my car, it wouldn't start when the guy finished working. He blew hot air on the distributor to dry it than it started right up. That's how i know its a distributor problem. I'm wondering if its worth replacing or getting a new car?
And whats up with these door handles? i have had 2 break since ive had the car. Both during winter, they just freeze and break too easily.
Another problem are the cost of tires. $100 a tire for 17'? screw it i think ima just sell it lol.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:13 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Distributor Problem?

How long ago were the plugs and wires changed out? When was the last time the distributor rotor was looked at or changed out?
The door handles are known to break of old age, but if you replaced it recently and it still broke, I would not get the same brand or buy from the same seller. There are reconditioning kits or bolstering kits for these door handles too btw.
Pricing for 17" rims...you just have to shop around...be glad that you don't have 18"+.

Quick Reply: Distributor Problem?