1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Electrical short, it seems

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 03:19 AM
akaaceman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical short, it seems

I recently posted a thread about selling my Venge and realized that I didn't even ask anybody about the problems that it's having, so here I go.
The other day I was driving home in the rain, and my car, more or less, freaked out. The accelerator got stuck, I smelled strong burning, and all of my electronics began to die on me.
After I got towed home, and all that good nonsense, I took a look under my hood. I noticed that my throttle cable seemed to have melted the shielding around it quite a bit, explaining why the pedal was stuck, but I couldn't figure out why. I took a chance running the engine and found that my throttle cable was receiving an electric current, causing it to heat up and melt the surrounding materials.
Has anyone had a similar problem or, at least, heard of this type of problem? I'm pretty sure it's a short somewhere, but I have no idea where to start looking for one. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as this was my only running car at the moment.
Thanks in advance!

Old 07-31-2007, 02:06 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Electrical short, it seems

Check the battery MIGHT have grounded out to the hood then the thrittle cable fried out

Old 08-01-2007, 03:44 PM
akaaceman

Well, I don't think that could be it because the short still occurs whenever the hood is opened. Although, I did notice that whenever I play with the lights, the throttle cable heats up a little faster.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:04 AM
akaaceman

I decided to get under my hood tonight at about 4AM and finally found the problem and fixed it! I'm very thankful for the input and suggestions.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:51 PM
robertwyoung
Rookie

Well what was it?

Old 08-03-2007, 06:02 PM
josef15111
Veteran

Hey i know its a lil too late but what the heck mine did that also, i am now up too my third throtle cable because the negative on my batery was junk and kept coming undone and it would touch so it melted the throtle closed. i found that the owner before me put a large batery in there and it rubed thro the underhood pad and grounded out cause the pcm to fry, i had all kinds of problems when i got it and most of the engine stuff was because of the battery doing that. its fixed now just wanted to say keep your batterys away like bad venge said....

Joe

Old 08-06-2007, 01:56 AM
akaaceman

I had switched the position of my air intake and my battery to prepare for a custom ram air system and, when I did, I inadvertently missed a vital connection on the ground cable, causing WAY too much current to ground through my throttle cable. When that happened, the cable melted the sleeve around it to the cable itself. I got under my hood, moved the battery back, fixed the negative cable, and cleaned and oiled the throttle cable. I surmise that when your throttle cable melts the sleeve around it, there is a grounding problem somewhere in your electrical system. At least in my car, the ground cable has an open contact that bolts to the chassis, and the rest of the cable leading underneath the intake plenum. If anyone needs any more info, feel free to ask.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:09 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen the opppsite happen the + of the battery hits the hood and feeds back thru the throttle cable and fries it ...

Quick Reply: Electrical short, it seems