1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

electronic exhaust cutout

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 12:22 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: electronic exhaust cutout

Yeah, I Mustang is a different animal with the V8. Small N/A motors, like Joker stated and BV gave an example for, aren't going to react like a big V8. There's a lot more pressure in a V8 exhaust system than our little 2.5L exhaust system. The Stang can afford to go with a straight pipe or cutout. The Avenger can't bud.
Think, different animal.

Hey BV, didn't Pete lose some torque when he installed true dual pipes too?

Old 08-18-2007, 09:26 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup ... I told him he would .... I told him to get smaller pipes to compensate like 1 1/2" instead of the 2 1/2's since the duals would be almost twice the diameter ...

Old 08-18-2007, 04:10 PM
dynamiteplaya3
Veteran

Well what would the effects be if it ran on low back pressure??? all i can think of is the engine would run hotter.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:47 PM
JokerzVeng
Rookie

depending on how much you backpressure you lost you could lose a good chunk of torque(and really cant afford to lose any) and i believe it would also move your torque range into the almost unusable part of your revs(way too high).
this just isnt rly a feasable option unless you wanna run soda straws for exh. pipe..lol

Old 08-19-2007, 04:20 PM
dynamiteplaya3
Veteran

ok so i was doing some research on backpressure since we werre on the topic... and all i came across was that the lower backpressure u have the better it is, because The higher the backpressure, the greater the restriction the exhaust is imposing on the engine. so if the pressure is lower there will be less restriction making for better gains not lowering them... i got this info from this site.
http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_108185/article.html
i dont see how torque could be lost by this?

Old 08-19-2007, 05:04 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Here's one that tells a different story than all of ours, lol.
As with any story, there's more background to it that needs to be accounted for.
It's really important to know how and why things were designed the way they were and what functions the parts have on themselves and each other.
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...austtheory.htm
An exhaust system with less piping bends is good and a slightly larger piping and all the cats and resonators and mufflers, but not a straight pipe.
The backpressure helps keep the exhaust at it's "14.7 AFR" temp range.
Remember, stock cars have the stock computer with stock engineered items, add an aftermarket item like a cutout....sure you sped up the exhaust, but can the stock computer keep the AFR at 14.7 with literally no exhaust? I can't imagine it being able to.
Turbo cars are the same. Keep in mind that most turbo cars go through moddifications the include the fuel system and add on computers or stand alone computers to help keep the AFR and temp range all in check.
Another thing to add. Running rich, 14.7...13....12..etc. Means you're running cool.
Running lean, 15....16...17...
[IMG]local://upfiles/17025/BD7DF92C33204165A546318DDD737A90.gif[/IMG]
..means you're running hot.

I think I read somewhere on the other board where you were trying to tell Pete something similar about the cooler exhaust temps BV. I think it was you, lol, it's been so long ago...

Old 08-19-2007, 05:38 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I got my info from a famous DSM tuner saying that you need at least X amount of back pressure , if you fall below that value the engine can't breathe properly ... this affects the EGT's and the computer won't keep up with the differences , the torque curves fall off rapidly

Old 08-20-2007, 03:24 PM
JokerzVeng
Rookie

i would say if your really set on putting this cutout in bro.. u should invest in a air fuel ratio gauge to find out if your O2 sensors are compensating enough(you may need to invest in larger injectors,restrict intake?,many things that a stock motor is prolly not up to handling).
main thing is do your home work and take many points of view(experience) into account,remember this isnt a V8 and its barely a V6 if u have the 2.5. anything is possible if u can make up for the discrepancies in the info goin to the ECU but that 14.7 to 1 ratio has been and will be the standard for fuel economy and perfomance both. gl bro..

Old 08-26-2007, 06:56 PM
dynamiteplaya3
Veteran

ok so my uncle just put his dual cutouts on hisMustang Gtand HOLY F*CK it was loud lol....... when he dropped me back off from taking a ride in it, he took off and i could hear him over a mile away gunning it when they are fully open.... but i really do like how he programmed the valve to shut when you take your foot off the gas lol.. but holy **** was it loud.. ill give him a week before he gets pulled over

Quick Reply: electronic exhaust cutout