1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

4g63-t EVO 5

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 AM
mimesis7803
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4g63-t EVO 5

i would like to go with a stock EVO ecu, atleast this is what i hope. However if worse comes to worse you guys obviously know how to wire in the GSX ECU. Now i'm not sure if a stock GSX ECU will run the motor however i highly doubt it. So here's my next "thought" by all means shoot it down if it sounds ridiculous or just plain stupid i am seriously thinking about this swap. I already have the 96 Avenger I-4 which i just gutted and reupholstered the whole damn interior since when i bought it the previous owner let their dog destroy everything in side and **** on the back seats[:'(]. Now i know the motor is about to blow the head gasket or has already started to since it's gradually lost power over the last 5 months i've been driving it back and forth to work and i do notice puffs of white smoke when it's idling. So an engine swap is a must. And once i started looking into what i could drop in i found you guys. Sorry to run off topic there back on the subject at hand!

Since 4 people have already wired in the GSX ecu into avengers, including you *silvercoupe*. Then maybe i could wire in the GSX ecu and have it reprogrammed "tuned" to run an evo motor?

-----edit-----

Oh and as for the EVO VIII or higher, i'd love to however i haven't found a JDM site that sells them yet. Most aren't even labeled what generation evo it's out of. The highest i've found so far, that is a trusted site is an EVO V

Old 08-30-2007, 09:15 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

You can wire it in, but since the ignition timing and fuel maps are different, you'll have an even bigger headache trying to get the motor to run.
There's really no need for a "JDM" motor since it's all in the tuning and turbo size. The current Japense EVO models have an "FQ" tag like the "FQ400" which uses a larger turbo and a more aggressive tune than the current EVO VIII. The EVO IX uses the same turbo but has a more conservative tune due to emissions.
"JDM" for Mitsu isn't like "JDM" for honduh. Even then, it's all about the tune. "JDM" is a term thrown around nowadays and has lost it's true meaning...Japanese OEM. Their cars aren't as restricted as a USDM car. That's all.
So, when you state JDM, I can only snicker, lol. Sorry

Also, the GSX ECU was plugged into a GSX wiring harness. The Avenger ECU and harness were discarded and it was a matter of plug and play, minus the lights and misc things that would perhaps take a weekend to figure out. Everything Avenger was removed in favor of the GSX parts, both mechanical and electrical (from the dash forward).
Since the GSX is a cousin of the Avenger, it wasn't a "difficult" swap. The aftermarket parts for that version is huge and pricing is "low".
Don't mix those two ECUs up. You'll only work harder at obtaining your end goal. Either go with all EVO or all GSX, you can't mix up the two in parts. Remember, DSM 4g63 is a version one and EVO 4-9 4g63 is version two. They are both different, only the name is the same. The 2G GSX has a head velocity that is similar to the EVO 4-9's head, the EVO's block is a 7 bolt also as the 2G GSX is, but they are very different from each other. Orientation is different, cams are different, ignition timing is different, fuel pump, fuel injectors...etc.
Your goal is obtainable, but use what you have. To make that EVO swap easier on you is to get the entire front clip of the EVO V to include all the wiring for the cabin and the ECU. You'll also need the rear clip to make the final AWD swap, then you'll need to have the driveshaft extended since the EVO V (171.3") is shorter than an Avenger (190.2). The gas tank should be taken from a GSX or Eagle Talon TSi AWD (same car, different badge) because the FWD gas tank does not have a tunnel for the driveshaft as the GSX tank does.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:40 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a wrecked Evo from a scrap yard drag it home and start cutting on the newer evo's ... This guy picked up a light rollover fort $800 with 10K miles ...

Old 08-30-2007, 10:48 AM
mimesis7803

i want JDM because of the fact that it has more power due to less emissions standards. I live in PA my neighbor does inspections, it's a lick and stick operation if you know what i mean. I haven't had a cat on a car since i bought my first car when i was 16. And even then that came off within a few months. I want it to not be "restricted".

Not to mention in the desolate sort've area that i live in getting an GSX or even an EVO would be alot harder than one would think. I would have to go to the yard and basically tell them i need this car and they would in turn get it at an auction and i'd have ot buy the entire thing outright. I'm not all about that, simply put. Although the more i'm researching the more or less "impossible" this swap is becoming. Although nothing is impossible to do with cars, this one may be a little out of reach cash wise. Since some of the things i would need to do i doubt i could do on my own, and even some of my close friends have no idea about how this could come together.

So that being said i'm starting to lean towards GSX just simply because i'ts been done and once that project is over. Maybe i'll have to take a look into an EVO swap. I mean i do have another avenger she's just beat up got in a little accident (ex gf went over some boulders, destroyed the quarter panel, suspension and door on the passenger side, oh yea and broke the axle off the passenger side).

Just send me as much info as you can silvercoupe. Parts used, optional parts used, engine rebuild pricing if you have any idea how much that cost you, and mmm.....getting tired........well just send me all the info you can to my email pics too if yo uhave them. mimesis7803(at)gmail(dot)com

Quick Reply: 4g63-t EVO 5