1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

BAD TPS PLZ HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 05:52 PM
dynamiteplaya3
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAD TPS PLZ HELP

ok so i had ANOTHER check engine light come on today and it turns out its the tps sensor and i noticed that when i shift it into gear it really jerks and sputters. now i have to go to work and school every day.. is this ok to drive on temporarily or should it be changed asap. pleassse respond asap

Old 09-24-2007, 07:47 PM
dynamiteplaya3
Veteran
Default RE: BAD TPS PLZ HELP

ok so i went ahead and drove it anyways and heres how things went down. i went out and bought the Tps since thats what the check engine light was showing.. and i noticed on the way it would not shift right... it would shift from 1st to 2nd reallllly bad and really rough and would go into 3rd if i gunned it and let off the gas. but would never go into fourth.. so i got the part and changed it out and then took it foratest drive and it was pretty much WORSE. it still shifted rough like going into drive and when i first started out it wouldnt even shift outa 1st tehn i kept driving it.. slow of course and after about 10 mins of trying to get it to shift it finally shifted into 2nd but never shifted into 3rd after that... so basically it didnt really help all that much... any help would be greatly appreciated pleassse help me

Old 09-24-2007, 08:09 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is located on your throttle body. The throttle body is in between your air intake and your intake manifold. For the I4 models, the TPS will be on the back side of your throttle body, and if you have the V6 it'll be on the front side. This mod will improve your car's response time and improve launch, but it will not add any horsepower or torque.

*Please read all of the instructions before starting so that you know you are capable of doing everything. Continue at your own risk*

Items Needed:
- digital voltmeter
- needle nose pliers
- t-20 torx socket or screwdriver
- a vice to hold the tps while drilling
- 1/4" drill bit
- drill

Steps
1) Turn the ignition ON, but DO NOT start the car.
2) There are three wires leading into the TPS, put the positive lead from the voltmeter to the middle wire.
3) Put the ground lead from the voltmeter to a good solid ground.
4) Check what voltage the voltmeter reads, if it is not reading anything or is fluctuating you may need to play with the contacts of the leads a little by moving them around. You should get a reading anywhere from .35-1.03 volts while idling. After you get a good reading, move on to the next step.
5) Keep the leads from the voltmeter where they are and position the voltmeter itself in a position where you can see it from the drivers seat.
6) After step 5 keep your eye on the voltmeter and slowly ease on the gas pedal (if you have a stick shift put in first gear and ease on the gas), the voltage should go up and end up anywhere from 3.1-4.0 volts, but it will not exceed 4.5 volts.
7) Record your voltage readings, and then proceed to next step.
8) There is an electrical connector that is connected to the TPS. Unclip this connector (it should have three wires going into it).
9) Using the t-20 torx socket or screwdriver remove the two screws that are holding the TPS to the throttle body.
10) Remove the TPS.
11) Put the TPS in the vise so that you have easy access to the holes where the screws were.
12) Hold the metal mounting cylinder with the needle nose pliers to prevent it from spinning.
13) Carefully drill out both of the mounting holes with the 1/4" drill.
14) Put the TPS back on the throttle body and reconnect the electrical connector.
15) As stated in the directions above, take voltage readings at both closed throttle and wide open throttle your voltage for closed throttle should now be between .75 and .85, and for wide open throttle it should be between 3.5 and 4.1. If your voltage meets these ranges, then congratulations...you're done!

*If you're voltage readings are too high*
All you have to do to fix this is loosen the two mounting screws very slightly, and at the same time keep your eyes on the voltmeter. Keep loosening the two screws slightly, then jiggle the TPS gently until your voltage comes back down. Once your voltage is in the correct range, you are all done!

I'm assuming it's a code 24 it could also be a MAP sensor trouble

Old 09-24-2007, 08:30 PM
dynamiteplaya3
Veteran

yes the code was 24... and it i put some tranny fluid in it and didnt really help (i was a little low) but it would shift all through 3rd but still wont shift into 4th... and when i was coming up the drive a min ago the whole car just died.. but fired right back up when i stopped and started it up. i have no idea what the prob is.. ill prolly just end up driving it up to an auto shop up the road.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:20 PM
neverstock87

ok. i had the same problem with mine. hopefully the same cause. i got lazy and took my car to a mechanic shop to replace a timing belt. when they put it all back together they crimped a wire in the timing cover and it set off all the signs that you've stated about yours. i don't know what kind of work you've had done to your car but i would suggest checking the wires for shorts or exposed wires. if that's the case it's an easy fix but if it's not caught it will eventually throw a keeper pin in the transmission from the hard shifts. the transmission isn't really strong enough to handle the engine behind it if it has any tuning done at all.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:25 PM
dynamiteplaya3
Veteran

ok so i got word today from the mechanic.. he still hasnt pin pointed the problem yet, but he has told me that it is def. not the tranny or the computer. and he said he was going to try a new tps even though i just replaced it lol and if that didnt work he was going to check all the wires as mentioned above. so i am hoping that the wiring is the issue because it will save me a **** load of money but ill keep posted when i get new info

Old 09-28-2007, 10:36 PM
scatpackmopar
Veteran

I had a simular problem. I had a few mechanics look at my car and some actually did a bit of work on it with zero results and a few hundred dollars of my hard earned money. So I wrote the tech editor at Mopar Action magazine and he told me to change the TPS. So I went to the junk yard, found a good lookingthrottle bodyfrom a Mitsubishi Eclipse and changed the entire throttle body out. It was easier than changing individual components off of it saving time and money. The problems I had went away and haven't returned. So I would do the same if I were you.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:40 AM
dynamiteplaya3
Veteran

ok so here is kind of an update lol.. took it to the mechanic and he said there is nothing wrong with the tps so he is guessing it has to be a wiring issue and the mechanic cannot do wiring. so he kept my damn car for a week and cannot fix it [:@] so ima take it to my grandfather who is an electrician and who knows pretty much anything about cars and we will see if he can help me out..... but that is a good idea scatpackmopar. if i cant get it fixed today ill be callin up sum yards

Old 09-29-2007, 09:30 AM
dynamiteplaya3
Veteran

sorry about the double post but does anyone have an engine electrical wiring diagram that you can post because i bought an avenger repair book but i dont think it has the information i need to fix this perticular wiring problem. it hasa chassis wiring diagram but not really an engine diagram so if anyone has this please post it asap. its a 1997 Avenger ES

Old 09-29-2007, 10:59 PM
dynamiteplaya3
Veteran

aiight so heres the scoop... took it over to my grandpas house and puta volt meter on the tpsplug and there was no voltage at all going to itand it took literally less than 10 mins to figure out the prob lol.. the wires leading to the thing that plugs into the tps was pinched in the throttle body. therefore crushing the wires. so no big deal got it unstuck and put sum electrical tape around the wires and wa-lah... good as new. except one prob. haha when i was driving it over to his house earlier the code 4,5 came up which i assume is a transmission code? and it is still there at the moment... it seems to be running beautifully and i really dont notice anything wrong with the tranny. should i get this checked out