1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

What is the problem with the car? Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:29 PM
VakhariaINC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the problem with the car? Any ideas?

My gf has a '97 Dodge Avenger. We both live in Atl, GA and the weather here is approximately 30 degrees. Whenever my girlfriend starts the car and applies gas, the car does not move. I figured, may be the car needs to get warmed up. My gf would wait until the car would get completely warm, and try to accelerate, this helped with the problem, but only for a little while.

Sometimes when she is at a light and it turns green, she'll try to accelerate and the car won't move. After a few attempts, some large grinding noise would come up. Today, after work she started her car, and waited for it to warm up. As she was driving, the red battery light came up, and there was some large "clunk clunk" noise or so.

Any ideas what it might be?

Old 02-28-2008, 08:58 PM
PappiDread6
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is the problem with the car? Any ideas?

OW!! I think you just lost your trans. When you say "it wouldn't move" Did it act like it was in neutral? Check your trans fluid if its black or a silvery color. Also check you oil.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:13 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Default RE: What is the problem with the car? Any ideas?

The planetary gears may have broke inside the transmission. Maybe time for a reman transmission.

Quick Reply: What is the problem with the car? Any ideas?