1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

engine shaking, rough idle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Beasty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine shaking, rough idle?

ok this just started last night on my way to work. my car started to shake. im not sure what exactly it is theres to many possibilities on whats wrong. but i started my car and watched my engine just idling and the whole engine rocks back and forth but when i rev it the idle sounds fine just sounds like the exhaust has a fast sputter to it. now i just did a quick patch job on my exhaust so that might explain the sound from my exhaust with the engine rocking. so i was thinking maybe my motor mounts? im not sure cuz the front bottom mount looks like its rolling in a circle where the rubber is. thats all i can think of to describe the problem if u guys could help id really appreciate it.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:56 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shaking could be a misfire in the cylinders , Bad Idle , or the motor mounts ....
When was the last tune up ??? How many miles ???
I'd suggest getting a can of seafoam first and run that thru the intake tract and see if that cleans up the idle and smooths things out ...
Next check the plugs/wires caps/rotor (you don't say what engine)
Motor mounts are checkable , But the car in gear and STAND on the brakes and watch for the motor to shift when gas is applied...Also switch forward/reverse some movement is normal large movement is bad mounts...

Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 AM
COYOTE102076
Rookie

Might I also add Seafoam, Lucas, or (the best I have ever used): Conklin's 4-Power to the fuel tank. Could have got a tank of bad gas. I don't know where you live, But here in West TN, I have got several bad tanks of gas. The first few times I thought something was going wrong with the vehicle. Now I try my best to allways buy my gas at the same place ( Where I know the gas is good). Just something else to think about. If it IS bad gas in the tank, the problem will solve itself in a few tankfulls of gas, even if you have not added any treatments to it.
I personnally recomend using 4-Power at least once every 3000 miles, just as a fuel system mantenece.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:24 PM
candacebadie
Rookie

Just wondering how that fuel injector cleaner or that Seafoam worked out on your idle, because I seem to be having the same problem and I just replaced the plugs,wires,distributor, cap, and rotor when my distributor went out and the bushings in my mounts look great.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:59 AM
red-venge

I started having the same problem about 2 weeks ago with my 1998 dodge avenger SE (2.5L v6). I've been searching and searching for someone who has the same problem as i do. My check engine light is also on it's giving me error P0443 (evap vmv fault circuit) which may/may not be contributing to the shake, i can hear a hissing from the front end. As though a hose or vacuum is loose. However, i can't find the hose that is leaking. I am also burning an excessive amount of oil (burnt through 4 quarts in 3 weeks). The shake is more noticeable while at a stop, and becomes even worse after letting off of the brakes (less noticeable after stepping on the gas). I took it to a mechanic he told me all my spark plugs and wires were changed recently and he doubts that is the problem. He said it could be an issue with one of the valves in the rear of the engine and would cost me $150 to find out if that's where the problem is and what it could be.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:33 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

you likely have a bad tube/canister on the evap cicuit follow te noise to likely a cracked split hose ect likely near the front fender

If you are burning thru that much oil you have other troubles

Idle troubles can also be EGR allowing unmetered air in , bad IAC ect ect I'd bet on that LONG before a bad valve

Old 08-12-2011, 03:57 PM
red-venge

Thanks for your quick response! I actually just ran into another issue on my way over to a friends house. I was sitting at a stop light and my RPM's dropped drastically, i threw the car into neutral and revved the engine just to keep it running. I stalled out as i was making a turn and the oil light turned on. I'm letting the car sit right now and am going to check the oil level in the car. My mom's fiance said switching to synthetic oil would help with burning through it so fast. Could it be that simple?

Old 08-12-2011, 05:20 PM
red-venge

after reading some of the threads on the forum i found that i have a few symptoms of a bad IAC valve and a bad EGR valve...Should i go ahead and replace those and see if that solves my problem? or should i try something else first?

Old 08-12-2011, 09:00 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

As mentioned in other threads I'd block off the egr first and see if that helps

Old 08-20-2011, 08:39 PM
red-venge

ends up i needed to replace the fuel injector.
I had recently used a full fuel system cleaner and it must have pushed the dirt and grime into the injector and got it stuck

Quick Reply: engine shaking, rough idle?