1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

new to site and some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 10:58 PM
1998avenger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to site and some questions

Hey whatsup

I'm Rob and new to this site. Been looking on it for past couple weeks, decided to post. REally like BadVeng and SilverCoup's Avengers, real nice guys.

I just bought a silver 1998 Dodge Avenger ES 2.5L V6 about 9 months ago for $2,000 (not so bad I think, great shape, will post pics soon). Has 111k on it now, maybe around 105k when I got it. Runs great, but a couple months ago I was a victim of the ball joint/lower control arm, luckily was not going fast at all, matter of fact just got off the highway, probably would've been dead. I've seen the stickies about getting reimbursed and getting dealership to repair it, just have not had the time yet, but certainly will. American auto is going down, might as well have my part in it, haha.

Ok so now to some minor details. There's a lot I want to do. As of right now, I was wondering if anyone knew a site or something where I can get a hold of the center console cupholder lids. Like the tabs for the ashtray and cupholder, looks nicer covered, but no biggie, jw. Also, my car really vibrates and shakes hard over 60 mph, figure it might be my wheels being out of balance, what do you think? FYI, I bought all new tires about 6 months ago and wondering if my mechanic did not do this, not too sure.

Alright, well just wanted to introduce myself and let u know that ill be posting more. Thanks a lot guys, some good info on here. Always was and will be a huge Honda fan, but I'm glad i got my Avenger. It's a sweet ride... later

Old 03-24-2009, 11:47 AM
josef15111
Veteran

hey welcome to DF!!!!

First off you can check ebay for some interior parts like the ashtray the cup holders and such. Now the shacking could be a few diffrent things, have you checked out you tie rod ends?? or the stabilizer bar bushings and the stabilizer bar end links? there are some in the back to. Beleave me when i say you will be shocked when you replace them and feel the diffrence in your ride. i replaced all mine with poly ones and WOW what a diffrence so much tighter and nice feeling. also check out your rear knuckle bushings mine where completely worn out and maybe check your upper ball joints in the front they go bad also, no recall on them but there worth replacing as well. look on ebay you may get lucky like i did and find a whole kit that has almost everything you need in it..

check this out you can ask him if he has diffrent things like take out the lower straight ball joints and maybe see if he has some stabilizer parts instead he will make ayou a listing as long as you buy it..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ball-...Q5fAccessories

Joe

Old 03-24-2009, 06:26 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shaking could be the lower control arm / balljoints failing ... another common trouble is bad wheel bearing/hubasembly

Old 03-24-2009, 10:56 PM
1998avenger

thanks guys, ill def check all that out

have you or do u kno of anyone that has the lower control arm/ball joint recall failure happen more than once? I don't understand if it gets replaced/repaired/fixed it would happen again, but im assuming it can.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:52 PM
josef15111
Veteran

Beleave it or not i have heard about it a couple times on this forum, i beleave they HAVE to be fixed everytime also. Check the sticky it may say something about it in there if it happens more than once or something. but yes i know i have heard someone got i think 2 or 3 sets i beleave it was just 2 tho. its been a little while about a year or so tho.... and yeah BV is so right the hubs like to go bad on these things. i had the back just about fall off and there was no noise or anything be fore it happend it was weird scared the crap outta me.... jack your car up and see if you can move your front wheels from top to bottom give them a check to make sure they are in good shape...

Joe

Old 03-25-2009, 06:05 PM
COYOTE102076
Rookie

So, as I am reading this, I want to see if I understand correctly. To check for bad ball joints and/or wheel bearings going bad, Rob ( and me as well ) need to jack the vehicle up at each corner and see if the wheels can be moved in & out at the top of the tire? How to tell if it is joint or bearing related? And,, how much play is OK and how much is bad????

Old 03-25-2009, 07:44 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Jack them up and put your hands at 3 and 9 o clock and pull /rock back and forth
you should be able to feel "unnatural" movement from the hub assembly , you can also note movements from the suspension

Old 03-25-2009, 08:08 PM
Maingregory

should i check mine too?

Old 03-25-2009, 08:23 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

wouldn't hurt

Old 03-25-2009, 10:13 PM
josef15111
Veteran

yea just give it a good shack if it moves like somethings bad some things needa get replaced before they go out. my right front ball joint droped right outta socket and landed on the inside of my rim, it caused some good damage, i got lucky tho the dealer turned me down 2 weeks prior to this for my ball joint recall he said they were ok. so the dealer paid it all axle rim ball joints and something else..

Quick Reply: new to site and some questions