1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

New 1999 Dodge Avenger... now what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Maingregory
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 1999 Dodge Avenger... now what?

Hi, i just turned 18 and for my birthday my stepsister gave me her 1999 Dodge Avenger. I was wondering what i can do to moderatly to durastically increase preformance. it has the 2.5l v6 with auto tranny.... 118K miles. For me it is a moldable car, i.e. any suggestions. It is drivable. Maybe needs new struts.

Here is a picture.
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  115.2 KB

Old 03-24-2009, 02:55 PM
candacebadie
Rookie

The only limit is your pocketbook! You can start by doing the body work and struts, then move to cosmetic upgrades like head/tails/exhaust. But when it comes to performance it all depends on how much you wanna spend. It can be simple like performance plugs and wires or cold air intake to high performance ignition systems if you're really serious chat with badvenge!

Old 03-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Maingregory

Pocket book...lol I work at a movie theatre for min wage...but i can do some things... i really want to turbo it... even if there is no manifold for it i can have my uncle help me and bodge something together.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:41 PM
COYOTE102076
Rookie

Hello, and welcome to the best Avenger forum on the net. Ditto for candacebadie's comment on checking out post's from badvenge. I feel safe in saying he is THE one to talk to. If it is doable, he will now how, or know where to send you for info.
Just to let you know, I have the AGX struts on my car ( '98 Sebring LXi, 2.5L v-6 / auto trans.) and love them. They were allready on my car when I bought it last month, but I could think of no better to use for a daily driver that may see some track time now & then. The rear struts have 8 positions that you can dial in to get the exact ride vs. handleing that you want. At first, mine were set on 8 (Hardest ride) I then turned them to 1 (Soft) and will be tuning them to the #2 or #3 spot before long. ( #1 a little too soft in the corners at 65mph )
As for any real preformance gain on a shoe string budjet, how are you with tools? !!!
The more work you can do yourself, the more you will save!!!!!
Lets have a reality check here: 1) you stated " I work at a movie theatre for min wage" ,,,,, well, I guess you might could get a second job. Depends on how motivated you are to fix up your car.
2) Check e-bay & salvage yards often. It IS possible to find a USED carbon fiber hood from a Avenger or Sebring that got rear-ended, or just blew up and turned in for scrap. Also can get used fenders & lights and front bumpers there.
3) If you go with new parts, dont replace with factory parts. If you are going to spend the money for parts anyways, get the aftermarket cool ones!
4) As for preformance,,,,,, not much you can do there without spending a great deal of money. If I were you I would do the following: A) Remove the 2 resonators in the exhaust system to decrease backpressure, then change the muffler out with a higher flowing unit. Even if it is an auto parts store cheapy turbo muffler. It will serve it's purpose, for now. B) Start with a cheap Warm Air or Cold Air high flow intake from e-bay. They can be bought, shiny chrome ones and all, for about $50 shipped nowdays. I can say that the one on mine works and sounds great. Finally, has your sister had it a tune up latley? A good tune up ( NGK Wire set, V-Power plugs, rotor button & Distributor cap) will go a long way to helping it out.
Also, check out the fuel system! Funky fouled out injectors can rob several HP. Especially at 3K + rpm's. So get a couple of bottles of good, PROVEN, fuel system cleaner and follow directions on the bottles for the next couple of weeks.
I recomend Conklin's 4-Power, or Seafoam brand as a second choice.

I wish soooo bad I could tell you "You can gain 76 HP for only $123.86 by adding this simple little do-gidjet thingy, and you will LOVE it!! ",,,,,,,,,,, but lets face the facts, it does not exist. Simple law of racing, "The more HP you want, the more money you have to spend! And SPEND in great volumes you will, bacause HP dosen't come cheap! "

BEST OF LUCK !!!!!! -------------------kj

Old 03-24-2009, 10:05 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Body parts are not too bad to find ,, use car-parts.com to locate closest junkyards with venges ...
headlights check out these :
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1995-20...headlight.html

Where are you located theres a full bodykit for $200 here and that would be new front/rear bumpers and side skirts

Old 03-24-2009, 10:20 PM
gt5268

Save your money and fix it up one thing at a time.Have fun and good luck!!

Last edited by gt5268; 03-24-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:47 PM
Maingregory

im in marion county in indianapolis, the main issue with bodywork is the price of paint. i almost thought about just repainting it black.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Maingregory

what exactly is my engine model and how much hp can my tranny handle?

Old 03-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Maingregory

im just curious

Old 03-25-2009, 08:18 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6G73 motor model#
the tranny can be built to handle 300 horse ...Now if the motor could do it without NOS

Quick Reply: New 1999 Dodge Avenger... now what?