1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Roaring Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Killa200
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roaring Noise

I'm having a roaring noise out of my 1997 Avenger v6 ES. It starts at about 15mph, and the pitch of the roaring follows the speed of the car. If i am going straight or turning left on the road, the roaring continues.... but turning right makes it go away. Tires are good all around.

Is this my right side wheel bearings?

Old 04-02-2009, 09:18 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check tires for camber wear ... on the inner edges , then check the wheel bearings

Old 04-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Killa200
Rookie

Hmm, i think the last owner had the ball joint recall done on this care, but i don't know when. If i find inner wall wear should i get the car back to a dealer and let them go for another recall replacement of the ball joints?

Old 04-02-2009, 11:41 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

If you haven't had an Alignment in a while the toe in may be off , scallops the inner tires and the roaring results going around the corer te tires inner edge lifts so the roaring stops

Old 04-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Killa200
Rookie

new symptom. When going very slow (like pulling into our out of a parking lot, etc) and turning left a decent amount, the car starts making a constant clicking noise from what seems like the front right.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:07 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Might be CV joint or a ripped boot causing no lubrication

Old 04-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Killa200
Rookie

so the roaring has gotten worse, and the tires have no unusual wear on them.... so i am going to opt for getting both from wheel bearings replaced (i like doing things in pairs so there is no odd matching on items like this)

What all should i expect from this car? Are the bearings pressed on or am i going to have an easy time replacing them?

Old 04-06-2009, 10:16 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

They come as a "Hub ASSEMBLY" with bearings installed ...If you have the proper tools you can press the old bearings out , and replace , when I priced it out the bearings were special order from the bearing distributor and was a 2 week wait versus $20 more for the assembly and no extra work that was a pick up at the parts store

Old 04-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Killa200
Rookie

Last night i ran into just the information you gave me as i replaced the hub assembly. A friend was at the local shop doing some final work on his propane injection convert and said come on over. Few moments later we jacked both sides up and found it was indeed the passenger front wheel bearing. He recommended against replacing the drivers side for now as it was in fine shape.

Ended up having to use the press to push out the hub assembly as it was stuck pretty well. The ABS sensor was also stuck in, and i had to cut the line to get the assembly out to press the hub out. I repatched it as well as i think i can be (soldered, 2 layers of heat shrink. zip ties holding the splices to the cable, then tape over the whole affected area + another zip tie to hold the tape seam shut).

Car rides, brakes, and turns with no noise now, Hooray! Thanks for your help once again Bad Venge

Old 04-07-2009, 07:55 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

No Problem Glad things worked out

Quick Reply: Roaring Noise