1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Planning On buying 98'venge As First Car- Some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 06:36 PM
joshua124
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning On buying 98'venge As First Car- Some Questions

Hey guys, i recently acquired my License here in Ontario ( Canada). I'm planning on buying my self a Dodge Avenger in 2-3 months time. With this being said, i have a few things to ask.

1. Whats the Most important things to check before buying one?

2. How does the stock sound system sound comapred to your average stock system?

3.Anything else i should be aware of before buying one of these Cars?
(Excluding Insurance as i get it private through one of my parents work so its really cheap actually).

4. Im planning on installing my Sirius Sportster 5 in it, but using the pro install kit ( so its hardwired to the Fuse box) and Connected directly to the Stereo FM antenna. Anyone Ever done a Sirius/XM install in their Avenger? Any tips?

Most of what I've seen so far ranges between 124,000KM-171,000KM and price ranges from $1,500CDN- $4,000CDN.

Thanks in advanced folks!

Old 05-18-2009, 08:55 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't say what motor you are looking at ...
If it's the 2.5 V6 ,be sure the timing belt has been replaced , as these are zero clearance motors and if the timing belt goes it'll destroy the motor ...
Check for the standard wear items brakes tires ect , check the tires for even wear uneven wear can be bearing/hubs or alignment issues

The stock system is OK for the best sound look for one with the infinity system (amp under the rear deck between the 6X9's)

Sirrus install takes about 20 minutes pretty easy

Old 05-19-2009, 04:50 PM
joshua124

Yep, sorry forgot to mention that. I'm definitely looking for the 2.5L V6.
I'll be sure to ask about the timing belt, and yea i've learned about the stock infinity system so im hoping to get one with that for sure. Eventually ill redo all the audio but for now im just looking for a Good Priced/Good Condition avenger.

Also.. i did find one avenger.. 1998 ES. with only 93,000KM. Dealers Asking $2,650 CDN. Im very interested in it, however its a 2 hour drive from me .. and it feels so under priced for the very low KM it has.. Almost sounds fishy to me. Any thaughts? Is it that old saying "if it sounds to good to be true, it is".

Old 05-19-2009, 10:00 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

remember it's a 10 year old car ... price sounds about right ,,, if in doubt run a carfax history report

Old 05-19-2009, 11:02 PM
joshua124

When i have some time and i got a weekend off im going to see if i can get a drive to the place to check it out. If i do go with that one im going to get a vehicle history report. For anyone reading thats interested 93,000KM is about equal to 57, 787 Miles just so you get an idea. Im also starting to notice that a lot of these dealers are not open on sundays .. Kinda throws a wrench in my plans to look for cars on sunday afternoons.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:58 PM
candacebadie
Rookie

Also it's important that they let you start the car from cold and check for any smoke from the pipes and when you move the car check for any leaks, and when driving make sure you turn the radio off and listen to the suspension and drivetrain for any knocks or taps and test the A/C. With the economy so bad, a lot of dealers are sitting on cars for a long time without maintaining them properly. GOOD LUCK!

Old 05-21-2009, 02:01 PM
candacebadie
Rookie

Oh yeah, and make sure the trans fluid is red and the oil light brown, and slowly shift through all the gears and make sure the bump shift you hear from that trans sounds smooth. (Just tryna make sure you get all the advice you can, and you don't get a lemon)

Old 06-20-2009, 08:19 AM
joshua124

Well I finally bought my first car yesterday!!
I ended up getting a 1996 Avenger, Silver 2.5L V6, Grey cloth interior, sunroof, Mint condition under the hood and inside the interior with 158,000KM. Previous owner even left in a pretty aftermarket kenwood deck and Kenwood amp to power 2 subs. I did get it from a dealer BTW..
Took it for a test run, very smooth shifting, great pick up. Just curious if anyone has any tips for fixing the trunk opening lever and the gas tank opening leaver as the one issue i did find with this car was that neither worked ( i'd have to open the trunk with the key every time).

Paid 2500 CDN When all was said and done ( Plates, Safety & E-test, etc) So not a bad deal at all. I get possession of it Monday.. So its gonna feel like an extra slow weekend lol

Old 06-20-2009, 05:23 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

trunk check the release ... there is a plastic flip lever on the trunk latch , that looks preventing opening from the lever ...

If the gas will not open when pulled there is a plastic spring on the latch that pushes it openwhen the lever is pulled

Old 06-21-2009, 10:00 AM
joshua124

Thanks for the info Bad Venge. I did see that little lock/unlock thing when i was originally checking the car lol for some reason i thought it meant lock as in once the trunk is closed it wont open again unless your trying to open from the inside the actual trunk :P

As for the gas door, im not 100% sure but i think you mean theres a spring under the lever in the car, not on the tank door correct?

I get posession tomorrow so ill definetly check it out. Thanks for all the help, all of you!

ill let ya know how it goes...

Quick Reply: Planning On buying 98'venge As First Car- Some Questions