1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Help!! Tranny!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009 | 11:49 PM
superflykid1
|
Default Help!! Tranny!!

Is there a way I can easily get to the torque converter to check the bolts? I have a knocking that I suspect is either rod knock, or torque converter bolt...which I had worked on last summer by a shop. Also, the converter whines, if I can get in there...is there any way to fix that?

(It's a 1998 2.5L V6)
Thanks!!

Old 06-09-2009 | 12:01 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

You'll need to remove the inspection cover to ck torque converter bolts. Its not hard to remove, You will also need an 18mm wench. When do you hear the knocking sound?

Old 06-09-2009 | 07:37 AM
superflykid1
|

That's where it gets tricky...I have to get the car warm first...most of the time, I don't hear it, but it's been on and off getting a little worse. If I do hear it, and I'm sitting in drive, if I put it in reverse...it goes away, or at least changes pitch.

I'm sorry, but which one is the inspection plate?

Thank you

Old 06-09-2009 | 10:51 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech

Its not a loose bolt, You may have a cracked reaction plate between the reverse and overdrive clutch packs.

Old 06-10-2009 | 07:05 AM
superflykid1
|

But, it's been the other way too...where if I hear it in reverse, it'll go away in drive. Sometimes its in every gear, even in park. I had the torque converter worked on last summer, which makes me think that they could rattle loose over a year. The knock will go away with a slight rev of the motor too.

Quick Reply: Help!! Tranny!!