1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

PLEASE help I'm so frustrated...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:44 AM
kween_DGAF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation PLEASE help I'm so frustrated...

Okay so my everyday car is not practical, so I bought a 95 dodge avenger with a 2.5 v-6 with 140,000 miles as a work car/winter car. Being told it only needed a front headgasket and I had a friend who would do the repair for 100 bucks and the gasket itself was only 25 bucks, I went with it. The car was only 500 bucks. And I didn't pay for it. So hey... free car! But I didn't know what I was getting myself into apparently haha.

Anywho, I replaced the headgasket only to find it wasn't blown. So I assumed they meant rear... and it wasn't either. So replaced it anyway. Then found a mouse nest on top of my inlet pipe from the waterpump to thermostat. It rusted out that pipe so it was sending a false code. I replaced that pipe and that code went away.

I replaced the timing belt, waterpump, alternator, spark plugs, spark plug wires, both o2 sensors, the entire exhaust, the cat converter, distributor cap/rotor, ECU was switched but did no difference, I didn't NEED all these things but I figured while torn apart I might as well, and some of them were "ideas" of why it was stalling.....

It runs perfect. It's amazing, but after a few minutes of running,like if I stop at a stop sign/light, or generally just let off the gas, it stalls. My rpms go crazy when I'm idle. They gradually work their way to 0. If it's in park it will idle ok SOMETIMES, but usually, it's up and down and then it dies.... ALSO, it has NO power going down the road, I will have the pedal to the floor and my rpms are at 2 grand and I'm going 25 and it takes forever to get to the 25. Every once in awhile my rpms jump and my car launches forward. It's extremely irritating and I'm trying to get it fixed before winter because my car goes into winter hibernation. ANY ADVICE would be wonderful!!!

I've put over 2,000 in this car already and it's practically brand new now so getting rid of it is not an option. It'd be stupid because I know whatever it is can't be serious because of how wonderful it runs when I AM pushing the gas haha. Stupid stupid car........

we did a fuel test and it's getting plenty, the fuel filter looks brand new as well but we replaced it to be safe. I did have a code that said BANK 1 LEAN BANK 2 RICH. I have no idea what to do my mechanics are stumped. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 11-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Killa200
Rookie

If you haven't already run some seafoam through the intake via the brake booster line.

While you had the intake off did you by chance clean out the EGR? If not that would also be a good idea. Bad idle could also be you IAC solenoid, its mounted up on the throttle body.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:13 PM
kween_DGAF

I used a diagnostic machine on it again, and got the following codes:

*System too lean bank 2
*EVAP leak
*Detection Pump Solenoid Circuit
*Auxiliary 5-volt supply output low

Then I cleared them and restarted the car and got this:
*Manufacturer controlled auxiliary Emission controls

Do you have any idea what these could mean haha I'm so confused. I bought a maintenance book for the car finally, I don't know where the detection pump is located....

Old 11-15-2009, 07:51 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like a bad idle ... Plug the EGR on the rear of the manifold ... If the idle improves the EGR is bad if not I'd pull the IAC and clean it by hand ... then try it
If it improves then the IAC was dirty /froze up
Also since the manifold was off a leak can cause erratic idle

Old 11-16-2009, 01:01 PM
kween_DGAF

Well, I checked everything, and I gave up and took it to a dealership to get checked out. And apparently my PCM took a swandive and is shooting out false codes, and when I removed my Catalytic Converter, apparently theres a o2 sensor inside that needs to be on the car? Or something? lol I have no idea. Damn car.... Anyway, thank you so much for your ideas. Hopefully we got it figured out now.

Quick Reply: PLEASE help I'm so frustrated...