1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Hi Everyone

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Maingregory
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Hi Everyone

So its been a while since i posted on here. the avenger is now running and is in good shape. i will post pics later. rocking 2 fusion 12" subs and loving it.
Here is my next project: making it go really fast!

There are two main goals:
1. turbo the car
2. Bolt up a manual tranny.

So i found a turbo kit fotr the 6g72 for the avenger now the question is will it bolt up the the stock 6g73 in the avenger?
here is a link
http://www.importperformanceparts.net/
you have to scroll down to mistubiti and go to turbo and look for galant

Now for the tranny

I know you can swap a 6g72 into the avenger. but i also heard you could swap the 6g72 into a 3g eclipse with a manual tranny. the eclipse has a 3.0l 6g72! so in my theroy...
Turbo it with the kit, swap over to manual tranny from eclipse!
and bang Turbocharged, manual transmission 6g73!
Would this work or not?

Old 03-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Maingregory

I really hope this could possibly work, it would be a badass avenger

Old 03-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Maingregory

Also i thought the 3g eclipse gts had a 3.5lv6, but i reasearched and found otherwise. it does have a 6g72, 3.0l

Old 03-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Killa200
Rookie

You'd need to do an engine swap to pick up the possibility of using the turbo and 5 speed i believe, is DMS is having issues and they were the only ones working on a project for both those mods on our v6.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:36 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 3g eclipse tranny will not work and will not bolt in ... There are tons of other issues that DMS encountered

Old 03-19-2010, 01:12 AM
Maingregory

So let me get this straight. the 6g72 from the eclipse will fit on the automatic tranny that i have in my 99 avenger sport. but my 6g73 will not fit on the manual tranny from the 3g eclipse? so the bolt pattterns dont match up i assume. what ab out the turbo? is that doable?

Old 03-19-2010, 09:42 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The Tranny will not work ...I can't find the litany of troubles list from a past post , there was PCM/TCM troubles

95% of the peoples who want a swap are thinking about trying to fit the drivetrain of the 3g eclipse into the avenger and sebring body

we know for a fact that it doesn't fit , it needs custom axles and electronic swap is always more complicated than mechanical swap

instead of looking into what was available AFTER the avenger we should look into what was available BEFORE the avenger

and there was something available , all those chrysler cars and trucks what came out with the mitsubishi 6g72 12 valves engine were equiped either with a 5 speed manual or a 3 or 4 speed atx tranny
the 6g72 12 valves engine share the same bellhousing pattern
the 4 speed atx was the a604 yes the same a604 as the avenger
the mtx was the A543 , a trusty and strong tranny that works with a cable clutch
it bolts on our engines since it's the same bolt pattern
when peoples with those cars are doing swap from atx to mtx the old axles still works prooving that the transmission have the same size and number of spline

->we need to double check if the starter is on the same side between the 12 and 24valves 6g72

now because of some weird **** the 6g73 has the crank sensor inside the a604 that was always the main problem for a swap because you will loose the crank sensor if you swap the tranny and the car can't run without one

-> solution is the answer to my A section: designing and building a simple crank trigger wheel that could bolt on the crank pulley all you need is to cut some notches in a metal ring with the right dimension and bolt that on the pulley, make a bracket and bolt the sensor on it and play with the distance until your engine run smooth

Old 03-20-2010, 12:08 AM
Maingregory

Hmm. does the 6g72 have a crank sensor in the tranny too? if not why not use the sensor off of a 6g72 with the bracket? seeing as how the blocks should be the same aside fro bore as far as i know. the Mitsubishi Diamante had a manual tranny. the only thing i can think of is that the engine would have to be flipped around??? hmm. so the turbo manifold wont bolt up to my engine...that sucks.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:25 AM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

DMS already did the 5 speed swaps useing the tranny above with a custom trigger for the CPS ... Had another member try the eclipse tranny and after sustom drive shafts ect he still couldn't get it to work and ended up scrapping the project after $1000's invested

And theres far more then flipping the motor

Old 03-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Maingregory

Man... this is kinda aggrivating. makes me wish i had the 4 cyl with the manual tranny.