1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Check engine light has come on =/

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 07:42 AM
jonthee
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light has come on =/

Hi!

My check engine light has come on, everything seems to be working great, what could it be, what is the most common error for this to occur on this car?

PS, I have ordered a code reader..

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by jonthee; 04-15-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:41 PM
sapporo
Banned

most common error to occur to your car is self induced being a loose gas cap. take it to autozone and have of their professionally trained people diagnose the problem with a code reader, and while your there don't forget to buy some orange hand cleaner

Old 07-04-2010, 05:04 PM
jonthee
Rookie

Hi and thanks for your answer!

I have no autozone here in Europe, a matter the fact I have no one to help me with this here, so I have ordered a cheap OBD2>USB reader to plug into my computer, then I should be able to read any faulth codes?

I was wondering if it could be the O2-sensor, since it idles strange when I get to a stoplight, but first I am going to follow the instructions from "bad venge" and clean the intake tract and EGR and switch the IAC from my spare car, Chrysler Sebring.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jonthee; 04-15-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:06 PM
sapporo
Banned

sorry had no clue you were from there.

without a tool to read codes, pretty much impossible to solve the problem without the correct tool.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:09 AM
jonthee
Rookie

Then I will wait for the OBD2 reader, hope it will do the trick =)

Thank you!

Old 07-07-2010, 07:55 PM
v6avenger09
Rookie

usually the o2 sensor. my light comes on all the time and its the o2 sensor. i dont feel like replacing the sensor so i just reset the light. my guess is its a bad o2 sensor, id replace it if i were you but its not necessary

Old 07-07-2010, 09:19 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are 100 causes for the CEL last thing I'd try is blindly throwing parts there are 4 O2 sensors what one you going to try

Old 07-08-2010, 04:11 PM
jonthee
Rookie

I have tried to check for faulth codes with the keydance method, turning the ignition to ACC-OFF-ACC-OFF-ACC, but nothing happeneds, the CEL doesnt blink? I have also tried to turn the ignition to ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON, and nothing happeneds either?

My car is a Dodge Avenger V6 -96.

Will a OBD2 reader (OBD2-to-USB) work on that car? I've been thinking of plugging the car into the computer/laptop, but what then, how will I proceed from there, any special software I need, I did get a CD with the OBD2-cable, is it just to plug it in and turn the ignition on, then just start the program up on the computer/laptop?

Where can I find trouble codes, to translate?

I have been trying to search for all this information but couldnt come up with something good =(

Thanks in advance!

Best regards

Old 07-08-2010, 05:28 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About the PCM
When an fault with your car is detected it stores the fault in it's internal EEPROM. Normally, you have to take your car to a dealer to have the problem diagnosed. Thanks to Chrysler's and Mitsubishi's ingenuity, the codes can be displayed with a few simple turns of the ignition key. Although the codes listed will help you diagnose a problem with your car, they do not allow for complete diagnosis and/or also may not even be the actual problem. For complete diagnosis you will require a scan tool and a service manual. I can't stress enough the help that the service manual provides for problem diagnosis. Everyone should own a service manual if they are planning to do any work on their car.

To check the PCM codes, insert the key into the ignition and switch the key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON within a 5 sec. time period. Then count the Engine light flashes. The number of flashes represents the trouble code. There is a slight pause between the flashes representing the first and second digits of the code. Longer pauses separate indivdual trouble codes. All codes will end with 55 which signifies End of Codes / No detected failure.

11 No crankshaft reference at PCM Check connector at PCM / Check crankshaft position sensor
11 Timing belt skipped 1 tooth or more Check timing belt / Check crankshaft sensor and camshaft position sensor / Check PCM connector
11 Intermittent loss of camshaft position or crankshaft position Crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor connector
12 Direct batter input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles Check Battery connections / Informative Code
13 No change in MAP from start to run Harness and connector / Replace MAP sensor
14 Map sensor voltage too high / low Harness and connector / Replace MAP sensor
15 No vehicle speed sensor signal Harness and connector / Vehicle speed sensor
16 Knock sensor #1 circuit Harness and connector / Knock sensor
17 Engine is cold too long Engine cooland temperature sensor circuit and connector / Engine coolant temperature sensor / Thermostat
17 Closed loop temperature not reached (M/T) Engine coolant temperature sensor circuit and connector / Engine coolant sensor / Thermostat
21 Upstream HO2S stays at center Harness and connector / Upstream HO2S
21 Upstream HO2S shorted to voltage Harness and connector / Upstream HO2S
21 Upstream HO2S response (M/T) Harness and connector / Upstream HO2S
21 Upstream HO2S heater failure (M/T) Harness and connector / Upstream HO2S
21 Downstream HO2S stays at center (M/T) Harness and connector / Downstream HO2S / Fuel system
21 Downstream HO2S heater failure (M/T) Harness and connector / Downstream HO2S
21 Downstream HO2S shorted to voltage (M/T) Harness and connector / Downstream HO2S
22 Engine coolant sensor voltage to high/low Harness and connector / Engine coolant sensor
23 Intake air temperature sensor voltage Low / High Harness and connector / Intake air temperature sensor
24 Throttle position sensor voltage low Harness and connector / Throttle position sensor
24 Throttle position sensor voltage high Harness and connector / Throttle position sensor
24 Throttle position sensor voltage does not agree with MAP (M/T) Harness and connector / Throttle position sensor output / MAP sensor output
25 Target idle not reached (+/- 200 r/min) (M/T) Harness and connector / Idle air control motor
25 Idle air control motor circuits Harness and connector / Idle air control motor
27 Injector control circuit Harness and connector / Injectors
31 EVAP solenoid circuit Harness and connector / EVAP solenoid
31 Evaporatice purge flow monitor failure (M/T) Evaporative purge solenoid / Clogged purge line / Vacuum hose / Evaporative emission canister clogged
32 EGR soleniod circuit Harness and connector / EGR solenoid
32 EGR system failure Harness and connector / Electric EGR transducer solenoid / EGR valve / EGR tube clogged / Vacuum hoses
33 A/C clutch relay circuit Harness and connector / A/C clutch relay
34 Speed control solenoid circuits Check electrical connections
35 Low / High speed fan control relay circuit Harness and connector / Low/High speed fan relay
36 Too little or too much secondary air (M/T) Harness and connector / Pulsed secondary air injection valve / Pulsed secondary air injection solenoid / Pulsed secondary tube clogged / Vacuum hoses
36 Pulsed secondary air injector solenoid circuit (M/T) Harness and connector / Pulsed secondary air injection solenoid
37 Park / Neutral position (PNP) switch failure (A/T) Replace the PCM
41 Alternator field not switching properly Harness and connector / Alternator
42 MFI relay (ASD relay) control circuit Harness and connector / MFI relay (ASD relay)
42 No MFI relay (ASD relay) output voltage at PCM Harness and connector / MFI relay (ASD relay)
42 Fuel pump relay control circuit Harness and connector / Fuel pump relay
43 Ignition coil #1 / #2 primary circuit Harness and connector / Ignition coil #1/#2
43 Multiple cylinder misfire (M/T) Ignition coil / Spark plugs / Ignition circuit / Injector / Upstream HO2S / Compression pressure / Timing belt / Crankshaft position sensor / Air intake / Fuel pressure / Crankshaft position sensor circuit and connector
44 Battery temperature volts out of limit Replace the PCM
46 Charging system voltage too high Alternator drive belt / Harness and connector / Alternator
47 Charging system voltage too low Alternator drive belt / Harness and connector / Alternator
51 Fuel system lean Intake air temperature sensor / Engine coolant temperator sensor / Exhaust manifold cracked
52 Fuel system rich MAP sensor output / Injector / Fuel pressure / Intake air leaks / Heated oxygen sensor
53 PCM failure - SPI communications Replace PCM
53 Internal controller failure Replace the PCM
54 No cam signal at PCM Check harness and connector / Check camshaft sensor
62 PCM failure - SRI mile not stored Replace the PCM
63 PCM failure - EEPROM write denied Replace PCM
64 Catalytic converter efficiency failure (M/T) Exhaust manifold for cracks / Replace catalytic converter
65 Power steering pressure (PSP) switch failure (M/T) Harness and connector / Power steering pressure switch
66 No CCD messages from TCM (A/T) Harness and connector
71 5 volts supply output low Harness and connector

Note: (A/T) refers to Automatic Transmission, (M/T) refers to Manual Transmission, A/C refers to air conditioning. This info taken from the Sebring/Avenger 1995 Service Manual, Vol - 1 Engine and Body. All information is copyright Mitsubishi Motors Corporation

NO an obdII will NOT work the 95/96 are not OBDI or OBDII they are like OBD1.5 and need an adapter

Old 07-08-2010, 06:13 PM
jonthee
Rookie

Hi again!

Hmm, OBD 1.5? I have bought this thing on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Wont that work at all, where can I buy an adapter =( ?

PS, the keydance methode doesnt work at all, I have the tranny in "Park" position and the parking brake on, and when I switch, "ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON" nothing happeneds, could this mean something is very wrong with the PCM, since I cant troubleshot the car via the keydance methode?

Thanks again!

PS, when it come to the transmission, I am only "serving" it, not taking all oil out, so how many liters will it take to just change the filter and the oil-spill?

Quick Reply: Check engine light has come on =/