1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

1999 Dodge Avenger Weird Shifting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Venge99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Dodge Avenger Weird Shifting Issue

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

I have an interesting shifting issue with my 1999 Dodge Avenger ES V6 2.5L.

When I'm driving down the road, then pulling to a stop, I feel a kickback. Then, when I start driving again, the car will not shift anymore. HOWEVER, when I restart the car, it will shift again until I get to the next stop or two, then I will feel the kickback and have to restart again.

I currently have the the following engine error codes:

Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction
Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio
Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio
Transmission Control System Malfunction

Am I most likely looking at a new solenoid pack, or what?

Also, does the 99 Dodge Avenger utilize the brake booster or PCV to access all the valves for a future seafoaming? Also, is there somewhere I can download the manual for my car at? Thanks in advance!

Old 10-04-2010, 05:05 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the speedo read when the shifting acts up ???

There are two sensors input speed sensor and output speed sensor Fairly cheap and the likely cause

Old 10-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Venge99

Thanks for the reply.

The speedometer never gives out, in any instance.

I should have also put in my original post that, in general, shifting between all gears is somewhat rough (ever since I started having this "restart to get shifting back" issue). The only rough shifting I got before this issue was when I put the pedal to the floor and it went to 5500 rpm's, then rough shifted.

Last edited by Venge99; 10-04-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:02 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Input Speed sensor would be my first guess .... Tranny shop can scan it

Old 10-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Venge99

Thanks for the information.

Wouldn't I be getting the following engine error code for it was the input speed sensor? Code P0715 Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction

I am not receiving the above code.

Is the tranny shop going to scan something else other than the engine codes? If so, how much does it cost for this "special" scan? Would this be the scan that would find the P0715 Input/Turbine Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction code?

Would it be better to go with the original Input Speed Sensor, or is aftermarket from an auto parts store fine? No junkyard in the area has a 99-2000 Dodge Avenger. I'm assuming an aftermarket BWD Input Speed Sensor would work great?

Also, are there any instructions for replacing this somewhere? I would love to do it myself, as I have heard it's not too hard. THANKS FOR EVERYTHING.

Last edited by Venge99; 10-09-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:27 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

There are several codes for input and output speed sensor troubles and they most always cause weird shifting or "limp mode" stuck in second issues.

Tranny shops can run more extensive diagnostics (check waveforms ) on the sensors .Tranny shops vary so I've seen some do it for free (trying to sell you a tranny or rebuild) to $50/$100

I've used both OEM and aftermarket and tey both have worked fine ...

It's very simple to replace, unplug it , unscrew it screw in new one plug it back in 20 minutes top, location depends on which one

Old 10-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Venge99

Thanks for the information.

Is there a thread that walks you through the process of replacing the input speed sensor? Is there something that would show me the location of the part?

Old 10-09-2010, 09:00 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Input is on the front left closer to the motor get the part and you can see which one it is... there are several threads here as well I would HIGHLY recomend getting a service manual

Old 10-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Venge99

I replaced the input speed sensor on my car. I didn't put any type of lubricate on it, just took the old one out and screwed the new one in, then put the plug back in it. Is that a problem?

I took it for a test drive before leaving the battery cables disconnected for 30 minutes. The same issue persisted. I am now leaving the cables off the battery and I'm going to reconnect them and test the car in 10 minutes. If I didn't take the battery cables off, then drove the car after the new input sensor was in, could that possibly have messed the input sensor up again? I hope not.

When replacing the input speed sensor, two white circular pieces of plastic with a nipple in the middle of each of them were sitting next to the sensor, not connected to anything. I simply lifted them off the metal they were sitting on by the input speed sensor. Any clue on what these could be?

Any help is appreciated! THANKS!

Old 10-10-2010, 06:58 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

picture of mystery piece ?

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Avenger Weird Shifting Issue