1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Low compression

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 05:41 AM
Partsman41953
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low compression

Hello all,

I have a 1997 Avenger ES 6 cylinder with 128,000 miles on it. Being an ex-mechanic before hurting my back, I keep the car in good shape by doing routine maintenance at specific time intervals. My wife and I drive the car sparingly since we both work at home. Yesterday my wife tried to start the car and the engine turned over as usual and then she heard a popping noise and then the engine started turning over like there was no compression. I thought it was the timing belt again, which we had replaced at 110,000 miles or 2.5 years ago. I had it flat-bedded over to a local garage where they opened up the front of the engine and saw that the timing belt was in perfect condition. He did a compression test and said that 2 of the front 3 cylinders only had 20 to 40 lbs of compression while the 3rd cylinder was normal at around 140. He also said that the plugs had a little bit of oil on them. I know that I have a rear main oil leak in the car but that would have nothing to do with the problem I am having now. The mechanic is puzzled on what it could possibly be. I am thinking maybe a head gasket but there is no oil in the radiator. What possibly could be the problem? They are pulling the heads to look further into the problem.

Thanks,

Glenn

Old 10-06-2010, 09:20 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad valves/lifters or a cam broke/snapped

Old 11-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Partsman41953
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know the status of my car which is still at the shop since the first of October. The so-called mechanic did a valve job and changed the wires and called to tell me that the car is still not starting. He now tells me he is "sure" it is the distributor. I sent him a distributor since I found a new one cheaper than he could find it for as I used to be in the parts business myself. Since he did not call me today I am assuming that the distributor was not the problem. If this was not the problem what would you suggest could possibly be the problem with the car? The car was running fine before my wife tried to start it and it sounded like it had not compression. I thought it was the timing belt but he said he checked it and it was fine. He did do a compression test and said that 2 cylinders on each head only had 20 to 40 lbs of pressure. How can a car lose compression in an engine overnight? The car only has 128,000 miles on it and is only driven 2 to 3 days a week short distances. Again, it ran fine before this happened.

Glenn

Quick Reply: Low compression