1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Heater core and tranny question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:00 PM
HeartlessD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Heater core and tranny question.

Just installed new motor ( 2.0L ) in my 96 Dodge Avenger. The first problem I noticed was that when I start the car and let it warm up, the temp guage gets to about half way and heat works fine. But after driving for a bit, the temp guage will eventually drop to cold. And no more heat. So I checked to see if the thermo was stuck open. To my suprise, no thermo. So I installed a new thermo, but didn't seem to make a difference. So I checked to see if I had it installed correctly. From what the Chiltons says, the thermo needs to be installed with the jiggler towards the top. This being impossible concidering the thermo only goes in one way. Figuring thats the only way it could be installed, I moved on to traceing the heater core hoses to the heater core. The hose comming from the thermo housing is connected to the lower tube on the heater core and the hose comming from the lower radiator hose is connected to the upper heater core tube. Can anyone tell me if this is correct, or should the 2 hoses be swapped so that the hose comming from the thermo housing connects to the upper heater core tube and the hose comming from the lower radiator hose connects to the lower heater core tube?

Second problem I started having was the tranny making a loud tapping/grinding noise when I first start my car. But it eventually goes away after warming up. Im assuming the fluid is either low/empty/no viscosity. Does that sound correct, or could it be something else making the noise?

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:28 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the cooling system problem might be head gasket related. The only way you suddenly loose heat and see the temp gauge swing abnormally would be caused by air in the cooling system.

Trans noise issue I'm no expert but I wonder if its something else like engine related, hydraulic lash adjusters?

Old 03-04-2011, 04:14 PM
HeartlessD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the noise is commong from the tranny. I think it could be the thrust bearing. But im working on installing a stage three clutch, just lookin for a good price and a dealer. Found a few on ebay for around $ 250 for clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. But havnt head of either brand name so idk. And I agree, I think i may have air in the cooling system. but the bleeder screw on top of the thermo housing is stripped. So getting it out wouldnt be a prob, but putting it back in is another story.

Last edited by HeartlessD; 03-04-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Heater core and tranny question.